[PLUGIN] mergerFS for UNRAID (Support Topic)

Rysz

1 hour ago, DiscoDuck said:

Has anyone tried to utilize the preload.so?

https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs/blob/2.39.0/README.md#preloadso

To my understanding it should be possible to obtain native disk speeds in qbit/rtorrent if it's passed to the docker container(s)

I haven't tried it but it is compiled into the plugin package and present on user's systems at: /usr/lib/mergerfs/preload.so

So in theory it should be usable as explained in the README, if anyone tries it please let me know if it works... 🙂 

11 hours ago, Rysz said:

Regarding Globbing, you need to escape the globbing characters as follows:

mergerfs -o cache.files=partial,dropcacheonclose=true,category.create=mfs /mnt/disks/OfflineBU\* /mnt/addons/BUPool

See also here for more details: https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs#globbing

Thanks! I read that last night but haven't given it a try yet. Simple enough solution. While it would be nice to prevent those drives from being seen by UD, at least it should be a workable system.

6 hours ago, Rysz said:

I haven't tried it but it is compiled into the plugin package and present on user's systems at: /usr/lib/mergerfs/preload.so

So in theory it should be usable as explained in the README, if anyone tries it please let me know if it works... 🙂 

From what I can tell it seems to be working.

Set it up as per the Docker usage instructions and mapped path and variables. Also added this to my mergerfs mount options

cache.files=per-process,cache.files.process-names="rtorrent|qbittorrent-nox"

Cpu usage in htop down from ~15% to 1-2% and my speeds seems much more stable in qbittorrent.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I know nothing about mergerfs tbh but with the likely introduction of multiple arrays is this a good option for merging 2 array pools and then a cache pool as a single share, for want of a better word, assuming unraid doesnt introduce a solution for this themselves. 

And also will your new snapraid plugin complement a setup like that?

8 minutes ago, tazire said:

I know nothing about mergerfs tbh but with the likely introduction of multiple arrays is this a good option for merging 2 array pools and then a cache pool as a single share, for want of a better word, assuming unraid doesnt introduce a solution for this themselves. 

And also will your new snapraid plugin complement a setup like that?

I have no information about multi array support or how it will be implemented, sorry about that. mergerFS basically can pool multiple disk mount-points together, so regardless where the data is residing physically it can then be accessed through one single folder (the mergerFS mount-point). Some users use this functionality to pool data on the array and data residing in the cloud together (e.g. for Plex), others use it to pool multiple disks mounted through Unassigned Devices together for better accessing through a single custom share/location on the server. I'm not sure how well it would perform pooling already pooled data (if I understood you correctly there, since array pools and cache pools already are pooled you'd be pooling pooled data) and if or how that would interfere with Unraid. Regarding SnapRAID, that's not really got anything to do with mergerFS. Basically SnapRAID provides parity for multiple individual disks (mounted in their individual disk mount-points), but doesn't pool array data by default (as Unraid does with the user shares). So mergerFS could be used to pool a SnapRAID array (consisting of a bunch of individual disk mount-points) into one folder (the mergerFS mount-point) for e.g. later sharing through a custom SMB/NFS share. Hope that makes sense a bit. 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Rysz said:

I have no information about multi array support or how it will be implemented, sorry about that. mergerFS basically can pool multiple disk mount-points together, so regardless where the data is residing physically it can then be accessed through one single folder (the mergerFS mount-point). Some users use this functionality to pool data on the array and data residing in the cloud together (e.g. for Plex), others use it to pool multiple disks mounted through Unassigned Devices together for better accessing through a single custom share/location on the server. I'm not sure how well it would perform pooling already pooled data (if I understood you correctly there, since array pools and cache pools already are pooled you'd be pooling pooled data) and if or how that would interfere with Unraid. Regarding SnapRAID, that's not really got anything to do with mergerFS. Basically SnapRAID provides parity for multiple individual disks (mounted in their individual disk mount-points), but doesn't pool array data by default (as Unraid does with the user shares). So mergerFS could be used to pool a SnapRAID array (consisting of a bunch of individual disk mount-points) into one folder (the mergerFS mount-point) for e.g. later sharing through a custom SMB/NFS share. Hope that makes sense a bit. 🙂 

100%

Yea you answered everything. Mostly its my lack of understanding what either was.

Thanks for that.