Pool/Cache Data Question - Moving drives (array & parity) but no pool / cache to a new system

DivideBy0
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I wanted to make sure I got my procedure correct. I am planning to move all my data divers (array & parity) but no cache/pool drives to a new upgraded system. The reason I am leaving my pool drives behind is because I will be using new & bigger size cache drives in the new system.

So System-1 is old system and System-2 is new system and these steps are purely to move all my cache data to the new system and leave my old cache/pool drives behind.

In System-1 I currently have the shares appdata, domains and system, setup as primary storage -> cache and secondary storage -> array.  And here are my planned steps:

1.    Shutdown all dockers and I have no VM's running

2.   Disable VM
3.   Disable Docker
4.   Change the 3 shares (appdata,domains, system) to primary storage -> array and secondary storage -> none

4.   Keep the 3 shares (appdata,domains, system) to primary storage -> cache and secondary storage -> array and mover action set to move from pool to array
5.   Invoke mover, wait for it to finish and verify data indeed was moved.

6.   Move all drives (array & parity) to the new System-2 ensuring drives assignment is correct

7.   Setup the new Cache / Pool drives in System-2

8.  Redo step 4 but with primary storage -> cache and secondary storage -> array

8.  Same as 4 but reverse mover action.

9.  Invoke mover and move all data in System-2

10. Enable Docker and VM and restart all dockers.

Did I get it right?

Edited by DivideBy0
  • Solution
6 minutes ago, DivideBy0 said:

4.   Change the 3 shares (appdata,domains, system) to primary storage -> array and secondary storage -> none

Correct way would be pool as primary storage, array as secondary storage and mover action set to move from pool to array

7 minutes ago, DivideBy0 said:

8.  Redo step 4 but with primary storage -> cache and secondary storage -> array

Same as 4 but reverse mover action.

Copy that Sir and many thanks :)  So you can actually tell the mover to move from pool to array?  I didn't know that

The reason for my settings on step 4 was to inform the mover what to do :)  What do I know

I did change the steps to reflect the correct order so others can see the right solution.

Edited by DivideBy0
  • Haha 1

And one last question LOL.

I plan to use a different HBA Controller in IT mode for my new system, but same vendor, LSI.  Moving the array + parity drives to the new system should still retain the drive ID and assignment correct, so the array and parity will come up without issues in the new system? 

I will also make copies of the drive assignment so if it does not come up automatically I can manually assign them?

I really appreciate the guidance on this gents.