Unraid hangs up

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello,

This morning when i woke up unraid was unresponsive until reboot, so i was not able to collect logs before rebooting.

This is the second time this happened.

I checked the system logs but i cant find any clues of what could be causing this.

Both times i was sleeping so i did not see exactly when it did happen.

Can someone point me to the right direction to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!!

server1a-diagnostics-20231004-0946.zip

Damn, i dont have the syslogs.

If you check my previous post history you will see that i have some weird network behaviour on my unraid, and this made it to not capture the logs since the last reboot...

Now i'm capturing logs again, lets wait for another crash...

Sorry.

4 minutes ago, SHALcL said:

Damn, i dont have the syslogs.

If you check my previous post history you will see that i have some weird network behaviour on my unraid, and this made it to not capture the logs since the last reboot...

Now i'm capturing logs again, lets wait for another crash...

Sorry.

If you have the Mirror to Flash option set for the syslog server then it does not need the network working to capture a log to the flash drive in the 'logs' folder.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

If you have the Mirror to Flash option set for the syslog server then it does not need the network working to capture a log to the flash drive in the 'logs' folder.

Yeah, but i did not enable it becasue i can't casue (or i dont know how yet) the crash, and i have to leave it running for weeks to months for it to happen again, and I don't want to burn my flashdrive

I see this in the logs:

Oct 17 00:00:13 Server1A kernel: r8169 0000:0b:00.0 eth1: RTL8168h/8111h, 22:09:5c:07:20:4f, XID 541, IRQ 81
Oct 17 00:00:13 Server1A kernel: r8169 0000:0b:00.0 eth1: jumbo features [frames: 9194 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]

You have a Realtek NIC (eth0).  The Realtek NICs are troublesome on Linux because the drivers are not well maintained.  You are also using Jumbo Frames.  This is not a good combination.  Jumbo frames are discouraged bcause it is hard to set up a network to properly handle them.

Do the following:

• Set the MTUs on all networking back to default.
  • Reconfigure your network setup to either use eth1 as a backup to eth0 (bond with both NICs), or use eth1 only.

Get your system stable, then work on network improvements a little at a time and watch for issues.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You are still using Jumbo frames:

Nov  2 11:48:57 Server1A kernel: r8169 0000:0b:00.0 eth0: RTL8168h/8111h, 22:09:5c:07:20:4f, XID 541, IRQ 47
Nov  2 11:48:57 Server1A kernel: r8169 0000:0b:00.0 eth0: jumbo features [frames: 9194 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]

Recommendations:

• Remove Jumbo frames.  You have to be sure they ar not enabled anywhere on your network.  IMHO, Jumbo frame offer little improvement and are not worth the headaches.
  • Update your gpustat plugin.
  • Try setting up a bridge with both eth0 and eth1 in the bridge and use backup configuration.  This wil allow eth1 to take over if eth0 fails.
  • Get an Intel NIC.
  • Solution
On 10/9/2023 at 10:53 AM, JorgeB said:
On 10/9/2023 at 9:52 AM, SHALcL said:

this time with syslog server enabled.

You need to post the separately, it does not come with the diags.

Nov  7 23:45:46 Server1A kernel: macvlan_broadcast+0x10a/0x150 [macvlan]
Nov  7 23:45:46 Server1A kernel: ? _raw_spin_unlock+0x14/0x29
Nov  7 23:45:46 Server1A kernel: macvlan_process_broadcast+0xbc/0x12f [macvlan]

Macvlan call traces will usually end up crashing the server, switching to ipvlan should fix it (Settings -> Docker Settings -> Docker custom network type -> ipvlan (advanced view must be enabled, top right)).

• Like 1