Unraid completely freezes, rarely reaching a week of uptime since v6.12.3

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I don't even know where to start with this one, but it's a real pain.

The server will simply stop responding to any traffic and, because it's headless (no gpu, no display ports on motherboard), I have no choice but to cold restart.

You may note that drive 5 is missing. This drive had quite a lot of smart errors, so I took it out to see if that was somehow causing issues. Ideally I would think that drives misbehaving may result in it getting disabled (and certainly shouldn't take out the server), but it doesn't seem to have helped.

lime-diagnostics-20231013-0844.zip

Alright, so I haven't had it completely lock up since posting, but I have had docker grind to a halt at least 3 times.

Looks like I have BTRFS errors for days in the logs. So I guess there's something wrong with my cache. One of the drives do have a CRC error count value of 133... so I'm guessing I should try ripping that out and seeing if it helps.

I got a screen connected. For some reason, memtest (from the unraid install) refuses to run. It just immediately restarts the computer. Ominous, but not conclusive.

Going back to running unraid, with the monitor connected I can see that this shutdown is caused by a kernel panic. That certainly explains why the server simply "disappeared". Unfortunately (though unsurprisingly) the server was not kind enough to write the full details of the panic to the syslog, but it certainly helps confirm the ram theory.

I've taken half of it out, to see if I can bisect which one is giving me grief. Fingers crossed. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

2 hours ago, shadowbert said:

I got a screen connected. For some reason, memtest (from the unraid install) refuses to run. It just immediately restarts the computer. Ominous, but not conclusive.

The version of memtest provided with Unraid will only run if booting in legacy mode.   If you boot in UEFI mode then you should download the latest version from memtest86.com which will also boot in UEFI mode.

• Confused 1