Dockers

SliMat
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi all

Am I right in thinking that any dockers installed and the data that they contain is stored in docker.img?

I ask this as I am using vaultwarden and want to back up the data in it, in case of a complete failure. While you can export data from individual vaults, you cant export data from organizational vaults... so I was wondering if I took a snapshot of the docker.img and appdata - would this be enough to recover it to a new machine?

I guess that with docker.img and the appdata folder you would be able to recover all the dockers and their data if there was a total loss of my UnRAID machine?

If this is right, according to Midnight Commander I have the following locations showing docker.img;

/mnt/disk1/system/docker

/mnt/user0/system/docker

/mnt/user/system/docker

Am I correct in thinking that these will be the same file and are just symlinked showing it in 3 places?

Any help appreciated.

9 minutes ago, SliMat said:

Am I right in thinking that any dockers installed and the data that they contain is stored in docker.img?

Normally only the binaries for a container are stored in the docker.img file.   If correctly configured any working files should be mapped to a location on the host, and by convention this is normally a location under the 'appdata' share.    Since it is very easy to restore the binaries and their associated settings via Apps->Previous Apps it is the appdata location files you need to have backed up.

13 minutes ago, SliMat said:

mnt/disk1/system/docker

/mnt/user0/system/docker

/mnt/user/system/docker

Am I correct in thinking that these will be the same file and are just symlinked showing it in 3 places?

Yes - they are all different views of the same file and no symlink is involved.    You might want to read up on how User Shares work in the the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Normally only the binaries for a container are stored in the docker.img file.   If correctly configured any working files should be mapped to a location on the host, and by convention this is normally a location under the 'appdata' share.    Since it is very easy to restore the binaries and their associated settings via Apps->Previous Apps it is the appdata location files you need to have backed up.

Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure - but if so, that makes it a lot easier... so I am guessing that my data for vaultwarden is in the appdata folder;

image.png.4b2056fd9d3cf19227491a00ce88a3b5.png

6 minutes ago, SliMat said:

Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure - but if so, that makes it a lot easier... so I am guessing that my data for vaultwarden is in the appdata folder;

image.png.4b2056fd9d3cf19227491a00ce88a3b5.png

Yes - anything that shows up as /data inside the container is in the appdata/vaultwarden folder.   Normally I would expect there to be another mapping for vaultwarden configuration data.

15 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Yes - anything that shows up as /data inside the container is in the appdata/vaultwarden folder.   Normally I would expect there to be another mapping for vaultwarden configuration data.

No, I dont see anything for config data - these are all the allocations I see;

image.thumb.png.d7bffe6fd774badbd6f2f20b8c6a5885.png

I am not familiar with vaultwarden and t is possible everything is stored under the /data location within the container, but this is slightly unusual as for mist containers there is a separate location where configuration information is stored.   You might want to check as otherwise this information is being stored internally within the container inside the docker.img file whereas you really want it stored externally on the host.

Thanks @itimpi I do have a local UnRAID machine here, which has never had Vaultwarden installed on it... I am guessing if I copy the /appdata/vaultwarden folder to this machine it would show up as a previous app and I could then 'restore' it and see if all the data is present?

That would be an exact restore scenario as its on a completely different machine :)

• Solution
1 hour ago, SliMat said:

Thanks @itimpi I do have a local UnRAID machine here, which has never had Vaultwarden installed on it... I am guessing if I copy the /appdata/vaultwarden folder to this machine it would show up as a previous app and I could then 'restore' it and see if all the data is present?

That would be an exact restore scenario as its on a completely different machine :)

You would need the template entry for that app which is stored on the flash drive under config/plugins/dockerman/templates-user to be on the flash drive on the other system for it to show up under Apps->Previous Apps.

Ah OK... I was a bit impatient and saw it didnt show in my previous apps list... so I did a clean install and then copied the original /appdata/vaultwarden folder to the 'restored' server - everything worked fine and all my data was there - EXCEPT the organisational vaults - but none the less its proved to me the importance of backing up /appdata and has given me confidence that in the event of a failure I should be able to recover individuals data hopefully. Thanks for the info @itimpi