Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout (Swapped Adaptec RAID Controller for LSI HBA)

MylesDB
Go to solution Solved by MylesDB,

Hey everybody,

After swapping an ADAPTEC Raid Controller (ASR-5805Z) for an LSI 9211-8i I find myself with the drives saying: 

"Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout".  I wanted to change because of some issues I've been having with Adaptec Card, and I knew it was bad practice running it so wanted to change.

Just to preface -  it's an Inspur "LSI 9211-8i" in IT mode. After hours of trying to get it working with my server, I finally got it working by disabling ROM boot in HBA BIOS, swapping it with what was my GPU's PCIE lane and eventually got it working by adding: "append pci=realloc=off initrd=/bzroot" to syslinux.cfg. All those things being necessary to get it to work. Drives always showed in HBA BIOS, but never passed through to the OS. 

After this I could finally access webgui I noticed the SAS drive names were slightly different. So I proceeded to create a new config and started the array. That's when I was met with the aforementioned "Unsupported partition layout" warning. 

Following this, I perused through the forums, seeing other people have found themselves in similar situations. So, I'm aware that I may want to rebuild the data drives through my parity drives, also aware it could be the case I might just want to fix the partition. However, I don't feel confident in knowing that is necessarily the right thing to do and I'd heavily appreciate some assistance in how best to proceed. 

I did unassign a drive and mount it through unassigned drives. The data I took a look at is seemingly in tact. 

Thanks guys!

image.thumb.png.77818b8b7d5d87e8b8d68acaadddfb9f.png

unraidbox-diagnostics-20231020-2058.zip

11 hours ago, MylesDB said:

I did unassign a drive and mount it through unassigned drives. The data I took a look at is seemingly in tact. 

This was hopefully done in read-only mode?

The easiest way (not the fastest) to recover is to rebuild one disk (or two with dual parity) at a time, like this:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/84717-solved-moving-drives-from-non-hba-raid-card-to-hba/?do=findComment&comment=794399

You can test on one disk first to see if the emulated disk shows correctly, if the disk you mounted with UD was mounted read/write test with that one or it will make parity out of sync.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

This was hopefully done in read-only mode?

Unfortunately not, I realised a few moments later and there were some writes (47).

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/84717-solved-moving-drives-from-non-hba-raid-card-to-hba/?do=findComment&comment=794399

You can test on one disk first to see if the emulated disk shows correctly, if the disk you mounted with UD was mounted read/write test with that one or it will make parity out of sync.

It shows as contents emulated. I am able to proceed with a data rebuild. Is it best for me to do it in maintenance mode, or does it not matter?

And just out of curiosity why is this easier than fixing the GPT headers (assuming that's the other way)? Is parity rebuild more safe? I know a lot of disks of mine are old and quite used so I'm a bit worried about getting any drive failures during the rebuild process. Given that, is parity rebuild is still the easiest option?

Appreciate the help

25 minutes ago, MylesDB said:

It shows as contents emulated. I am able to proceed with a data rebuild. Is it best for me to do it in maintenance mode, or does it not matter?

You can do in normal mode.

25 minutes ago, MylesDB said:

And just out of curiosity why is this easier than fixing the GPT headers

Because it's not something I can test so afraid to give bad instructions.

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Because it's not something I can test so afraid to give bad instructions.

I understand and appreciate that. I guess the reason I'd like to give this a try is because a few of my drives have died recently and I've got more of the same batch installed. So that's why I'm a bit hesitant to rebuild every drive. 

Would you be willing to speculate on whether you suspect that there would be any risk to the array if I were to use gdisk : w on the drive I unassigned. You don't have to make any recommendations, I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I'm just thinking if it doesn't work then I can always rebuild that drive, and then just go down the parity rebuild route for the whole array. Just curious if you think or could foresee a way in which gdisking the drives compromise the array. 

I appreciate your help 

4 minutes ago, MylesDB said:

Would you be willing to speculate on whether you suspect that there would be any risk to the array if I were to use gdisk : w on the drive I unassigned. You don't have to make any recommendations, I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

If used with the rest of the array and it mounts it will generate some writes to parity, so there could be some risks, if you can test on another server or the same one but use it as the only data disk there won't be any increased risk, since that disk is already out of sync with parity.

29 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

or the same one but use it as the only data disk there won't be any increased risk, since that disk is already out of sync with parity.

So in theory:

1. Create a new config (not keeping assignments for array devices)
  2. gdisk drive (the one which is out of sync first)
  3. Assign disk and then start array and check.
  • Repeat without step 1 for the rest of data drives, only if it seems to be working (drive mounts and contents look okay).
  • Assign parity at the end

Is this how you'd go about it in theory?

If I attempt this and it isn't successful with the first disk, I can redo assignments (as they were before) and do the parity rebuild instead? 

Thanks a tonne. 

Okay, so I tried to use gdisk to correct the GPT the drive, and it completed successfully. However, after a reboot, it still wasn't able to mount. So, I decided to go down the route of rebuilding the parity.

In order to do the prior I had unassigned all the drives and created a new array (new config - > preserved no array assignments).

So I restored super.dat from a flash backup to revert to the previous array assignments. I managed to rebuild the drive. After that, I attempted to stop the array and then start it again to check if the drive would be recognized as mounted when the array was started. However, the system became inaccessible; there was no web GUI or SSH access. I restarted the system after waiting for about 20 minutes. Hoping that it was a one-time occurrence, I tried turning on the array again, but the same issue occurred.

unraidbox-diagnostics-20231022-0519.zip

Edited by MylesDB
Accidentally said i formatted drive when I rewrote the partition
  • Solution

Hey so I've managed to get the array all up and working now. 

So as for the crashing when stopping the array, this issue was two-pronged. A.) I had XFS errors on disk2, so I fixed it with:

xfs_repair /dev/md2p1

B.) I was seeing opcode errors. I'm using Ryzen 1st Gen CPU architecture. In the process of trying to get the new HBA working I reset bios, and thus it reset settings relating to C-states and idle power. So I changed those to the apropos settings. 

As for fixing it all I did the following:

When replacing my disk with parity, I actually viewed the syslog to see what UnRaid was doing to create the GPT partitions:

Screenshot from GPU using capture card.. (not sure if gui syslog would have been running to see)

194705945_Screenshotfrom2023-10-2206-10-42.thumb.png.2b5c30e966bc9f83f3ef682ad00fd706.png

Once I fixed my crashing issue I proceeded to:

1.) Start the array in maintenance mode. 

2.) Run the following commands (x denoting the appropriate disk):

sg_disk -Z /dev/sdx

sg_disk -o -a 8 -n 1:32K:0 /dev/sdx

3.) Stopped the array and then started it in normal mode.

The drive mounted and I did it with the rest of my data drives, one by one - just to be safe. 

For my 2TB disk in my array, UnRaid said the disk was smaller than the original disk.. so I'm assuming the partition I wrote to it is not what UnRaid would usually use for a 2TB disk. But to get around this I just created a new config, preserving disk assignments. I then started the array and it mounted successfully, albeit it's not using what UnRaid would have intended for its partition, however, I'm assuming it's not a big deal.

As you can see below all disks are mounted successfully. 

I have some lost+found directories within the disk I mounted in R/W so that's on me. All the other disks are fine. 

image.thumb.png.08198e5e5a0a70064f8686aed6ad45e4.png

I hope the following may be useful for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation and doesn't wish to replace each disk through parity. 

Lastly, thanks Jorge for the support, it's been very much appreciate. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MylesDB said:

I wrote to it is not what UnRaid would usually use for a 2TB disk.

Disks up to 2TB are formatted MBR, not GPT, so it may cause a small difference.

however, I'm assuming it's not a big deal.

Should be fine, recommend to check filesystem to make sure all is OK.

P.S. this would not be necessary since you were using the sd devices, but of course also not a problem:

1.) Start the array in maintenance mode.

10 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

I should have mentioned that for every disk I performed the procedure on I executed:

xfs_repair -v -n /dev/sdx

Just to make sure the fs was okay, and that's why I was also using maintenance mode. 

17 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Disks up to 2TB are formatted MBR, not GPT, so it may cause a small difference.

Hopefully nothing bad comes of this. I'll probably just leave it as is, unless you could foresee any likely ramifications of having it GPT as opposed to MBR.

Much appreciated. 

Yeah, that's right. 

I'm speaking in the scope of checking the FS:

54 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

I used the below to check the FS after I wrote a new GPT partition to each data drive to check XFS.

5 minutes ago, MylesDB said:
xfs_repair -v -n /dev/mdxp1

For my disk (disk2) which actually had XFS errors, I used:

2 hours ago, MylesDB said:
xfs_repair /dev/md2p1