[SOLVED] Unraid GUI not showing after moving disk

lory995
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi everybody, here i am again with another problem.

I'll make it short, my parity disk died so i took the chance to upgrade it big, buying two new 14tb HDD one in parity and one in the array.

After installing them no problem, the parity rebuild itself and the new array disk worked no problem. 

Unfortunately, i forgot to preclear them. Since the package arrived with signs of a troubled trip to my home i thought it was best to be safe than sorry now that they are still empty and confirm everything worked ok. 
Now comes the problem : i went to unassign it ( forgot about new config... ) and everything went to hell since then. 

Actually when i start the server it works fine ( it start the parity sync/rebuild ) but the UI shutdown completely. I saw there was a defective plugin some time ago ( supposedly fixed ) that caused that problem if one had more HDD that his license allowed but that it's not my case ( i have 5 vs 6 limit with basic license ).

It's weird because I can access all my docker containers at their links, all plugins works (i can connect through tailscale) and my VMs works too.

Everything works except for my GUI. If i restart the server i see the GUI again since the autostart automatically set itself as off. I tried to start the array in maintance mode too and the GUI works normally.

While in maintenance mode i precleared the HDD. Well at least i reached my goal after all.

So what can i do? Honestly, for how it behaved until now -as written above- i got the feeling that it will starts working again naturally when parity works ends, but i still written here beforehand because:

- There is a chance that when the parity ends s**t hits the fan and i'm gonna cry hard

- If it's a bug it should be fixed, more so since the problem appeared messing around with disks and that's something that can happen to absolute beginners. If they have no gui they are gonna go desperate very fast.

It's true that with home servers they better get used to it sooner or later, but later is better than sooner in this case.

Do you agree? Did i made an evident noobs mistake?

Thanks you in advance guys

Edited by lory995

So parity was rebuilt onto a new disk and you added an additional data disk, then decided to pre-clear them afterwards?  Did you clear one or both?  If you cleared both at the same time, you'd have no choice but to new config. If one at a time, then each would go through a sync/rebuild.

Is your question about how to rebuild or the GUI? A missing GUI isn't normal.

Edited by dboonthego
  • Thanks 1

Well let me explain better and in more details:

(1 - Disk Fail)

I had 4 disks, let's call them disk 0,1,2,3.  ( i ignore the cache )

Disk0 = parity |

Disk1 = array1 |

Disk2 = array2 |

Disk3 = array3 |

The parity disk fails (Disk 0) and i buy disks 4,5.

(2 - Array upgrade)

Now I install disk 4 as parity and disk 5 in the array. 

Disk4(new)= parity |

Disk1= array1 |

Disk2= array2 |

Disk5(new)=  array3 |  

24 hours parity sync completed. it tells me there are some warnings but i ignore them 'cause it's completed and still working. 

(3 - GUI Offline)

I stop the array and remove disk 5 from it.

When i start it back again the GUI crashes -> i receive the email from the server that the parity sync started so i try if i can connect to vms and docker containers and i can. Now that i think about it i just watched if i could connect to them, not if something like plex let me play movies but i digress. 

At this step i look on google and i find that i should have done "new config" before removing it from the array. ( and find the post linked in first post regarding the GUI ).

I do "new config" keeping all the same ( i select "all" ).

Now i reboot the system hoping it's solved but...

(4 - Preclear)

It's not. When i reboot, the autostart it's turned off, i supposed it was because of new config, and even if i don't know it yet i can access the server only because of that ( in fact near the "start" button it says "configuration valid" ). So i'm still not too worried. 

-- Server config now :

Disk4(new)= parity |

Disk1= array1 |

Disk2= array2 |

Disk5(not precleared it yet)=  array3 |  --

So: I can access the server gui. Seeing configuration valid I simply started it in maintenance mode and start the preclearing as i wanted to do originally. ( i don't remember if i tried in maintenance but it ask me to turn the array off completely or whatever. Still i precleared it )

[...] Disk5(now precleared)= unassigned  |  --

(5 - i acknowledge that something "hit the fan")

Now after the preclear i go to start the array with the precleared hdd (disk5) as [array 3] and the GUI goes off again.

At this point I try directly to reboot it in an attempt to troubleshoot it myself. I do it a couple of times with no success because i don't found anything on google. 

During the last attempt i put disk5 in parity 2 since my original plan was to invert disk 4 and 5 (=> disk 5 in parity and disk 4 in the array because of different cooling capability inside the case) and because i wanted a working parity drive while preclearing the disk4 too.

I start the array ( GUI offline ) and I let the parity do it's job hoping that at the end of it everything would be solved.

-- At this point i write the first post --

But unfortunately....

Update

(6 - Parity sync fail )

2002664593_Screenshot2023-10-22alle13_07_49.thumb.jpg.dfc7a45ae526ac3e2bd80194e4db92af.jpg

-- I didn't cancel it -- 

Those are the same errors that it showed me before, but since it showed me them since the old disk has broken AND even after that it correctly rebuilded the array ( Section 2 of this post ) i didn't give it much thought and i honestly still have doubts that those are the real problem. It's the only thing remained constant since before i bought the new disks.

Actual Config - Maintenance Mode [ Parity is disk4 | Parity 2 is disk5(precleared) ]

1589183898_Screenshot2023-10-22alle13_14_14.thumb.jpg.00931b05d311ffd30ea43866882f27a8.jpg

UnraidServer.log

Edited by lory995
Added Unraid Syslog for GUI problem

Thanks you, i didn't think about booting in safe mode.. Still a newbie afterall. 

One after the other i removed every plugin and in the end of course was.... Tailscale. The only thing that really mess all my setup up..... 

Later i'll try to install it again and if it's still bugged i'm gonna write on the plugin support so someone can fix it. 

Thank you again! 

Edited by lory995
  • Like 1
  • lory995 changed the title to [SOLVED] Unraid GUI not showing after moving disk