Added 2 drives to array but can't Format them

bobo89
Go to solution Solved by bobo89,

tower-diagnostics-20231021-1529.zip

I bought 2 new Seage SMR 8 TB drives and LSI 9207-8i (in IT mode). I connected the 2 new drives to the controller. No issues with that ptocess.

I ran a preclear on them ( the 3 part one. Read, write then read). After the write stage, I confirmed that the correct headers were written to the drives. (the pre-clear header was confirmed written in the logs).

However I got tired of waiting for the final read pass, so I cancelled it.

I then disabled the array, added both drives as Disk 7 and 8, and started array.

Both drives showed up as Umountable.

I check "Format will create a file system in all Unmountable disks.", and click Format. and nothing happens.

I have tried removing one of the disks in order to only have 1 added to the array at a time, but clicking the "Format" button doesn't do anything.

So I"m noticing that the raw read error rate on the 2 new drives is huge, and growing... Is that a possible issue ? If so, it's less likely the the LSI 9207 but maybe the cables I bought ?

Edited by bobo89
added info
10 hours ago, bobo89 said:

That was the first thing I did, it's attached (at the top of the post)

I cannot see any attempt to format in those diagnostics - were they taken after trying that?

The diagnostics seem to show that the drives may have disconnected and then reconnected.  Have you tried rebooting and then seeing if you can format.  If that does not work then new diagnostics taken at that point might give a clue.

I also notice that there seems to be nothing assigned as disk1 - is this expected?

• Solution

So I rebooted multiple times and tried again. Tried in Firefox, opera and edge all from the same machine and everytime I did, same behaviour. I could see my click being registered in the browser (in developer tools), but no response would come from server.

I then tried from a different machine, Firefox on Linux and worked exactly as intended. Having trouble explaining that one...

Nothing assigned as disk 1, I guess when I built the array I started from disk 2.

One quirk I did find during this process, I thought the issue was I can't add 2 disks at once, so I removed 1 of the new disks from the array. When I clicked format(and finally worked when attempting from the new machine) it formated both the new disk in the array and the new disk NOT in the array, even though it wasnt part of the array

After then adding the second new disk to the array, unraid is now "rebuilding data" onto the 2nd new disk. Seems like a bug to me.