(6.9.2) How to convert/use parity disk as a data disk?

Hello!

My current setup is a simple 1 Data disk + 1 Parity disk (raid1 mirror special case).

The Data disk failed (Diagnostics attached. The failure happened after main power went down twice in few hours, so unsafe shutdowns)

Now I just want to use the Parity disk as the Data disk temporarily till I get a replacement.

Since this's a special case (raid1 mirroring), it should be a simple procedure as far as I know.

Any input is appreciated and thank you in advance!

myserver-diagnostics-20231024-0616.zip

Edited by To_Be_Unraid
Diagnostics attached
5 hours ago, To_Be_Unraid said:

Now I just want to use the Parity disk as the Data disk temporarily till I get a replacement.

Since this's a special case (raid1 mirroring), it should be a simple procedure as far as I know.

In this special case you should not need to do anything as the parity disk is mirroring the data drive, so if the data drive is missing it will simply 'emulate' the missing disk1.   When you get the replacement for disk1 you can then follow the standard process for rebuilding a failed drive.

There is a significant chance that disk1 has not actually failed but was simply disabled due to a write failing caused by an external factor such as the SATA or Power cabling.  However the drive is not showing up in the diagnostics - is it physically still in the machine?

Was disk1 in a USB enclosure?  When you get a replacement disk, you can simply install it and assign to slot1 to rebuild it from parity.  In the meantime, you're effectively already using the parity as an emulated data disk.

If your question is literally how to turn your parity disk into the data disk then you would Tools-->New config and assign the parity disk to disk1.  This works in your scenario  because you only have 1 data and 1 parity in raid1.  There is no reason to do this unless you plan to use a replacement disk that is larger than your existing parity or if you just don't plan to replace the disk at all.

Edited by dboonthego