Need to Override VM Autostart without VM Manager Running

stchas
Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

I managed to kludge the XML for my Win10 VM such that it takes out the /boot drive when it starts, wreaking havoc on the system.  Unfortunately, the Autostart switch for the VM was set when I was editing the XML, so restarting unraid puts me into the same bad situation.  To avoid this do-loop, I manually disabled the VM Manager in the /boot/config/domain.cnf file and rebooted the system.  Now works fine (without VMs).  However, re-enabling the VM Manager in Settings starts the same sequence of events, as re-enabling the VM Manager also re-starts any VMs with the Autostart switch set.  So no way to get into the VM XML editor to fix the problem.

So I need a way to clear the Autostart switch for the VM from outside the VM Manager.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Solution
15 minutes ago, stchas said:

I managed to kludge the XML for my Win10 VM such that it takes out the /boot drive when it starts, wreaking havoc on the system.  Unfortunately, the Autostart switch for the VM was set when I was editing the XML, so restarting unraid puts me into the same bad situation.  To avoid this do-loop, I manually disabled the VM Manager in the /boot/config/domain.cnf file and rebooted the system.  Now works fine (without VMs).  However, re-enabling the VM Manager in Settings starts the same sequence of events, as re-enabling the VM Manager also re-starts any VMs with the Autostart switch set.  So no way to get into the VM XML editor to fix the problem.

So I need a way to clear the Autostart switch for the VM from outside the VM Manager.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rename /usr/local/sbin/qemu to qemu.old then start VM manager disable auto start and then rename the file back

• Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
On 10/26/2023 at 1:39 PM, SimonF said:

Rename /usr/local/sbin/qemu to qemu.old then start VM manager disable auto start and then rename the file back

Saved me! Was stuck cause my bindings changed when I added a new PCIe card.

Is it reasonable to request a feature where you can force disable autostart to all VMs from the VM settings to avoid this situation when there are hardware changes?

4 hours ago, bigbangus said:

Saved me! Was stuck cause my bindings changed when I added a new PCIe card.

Is it reasonable to request a feature where you can force disable autostart to all VMs from the VM settings to avoid this situation when there are hardware changes?

Option has been added to the next release for this.

• Like 1