Disk shows as unassigned, how do I recover?

dweezy
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'll state first I am a novice user. I was busy organizing family photos on a share and all of a sudden I was unable to create folders. I got a notification in the dashboard showing that a drive became disabled. I have one parity drive. In a slight panic, I looked up instructions on how to troubleshoot this problem. I downloaded diagnostics first. Then I followed instructions to stop the array and unassign the disk (I hope doing this didn't screw me over). Now I'm stuck here because I am unable to mount the array due to an error:image.png.ff6103e25b97cdb9c21fa714b55f5226.png

My setup sits looking like this:

image.png.ff188eae2742f46379d4b8f963a44f66.png

I feel like I shouldn't have unassigned the device because I think the disk was being emulated, and I think I could've copied data at that point to an external source for good measure. But I had already unassigned the disk and can't reassign it. At this point, I am not sure what I should be doing and I'm afraid I am making things worse. I'd love to recover the data if possible. I am hoping that is what the parity will help me do.

artemis-diagnostics-20231112-0126.zip artemis-syslog-20231112-0947.zip

Also, this is a little concerning to me. I didn't realize it but my last parity check was about a week ago. Does this mean if my disabled disk is indeed done for, any rebuild from parity will only be when the parity disk was last checked? Or am I not understanding what the parity "check" is doing?

image.png.737f4977931432d4f8f614468d01acb3.png

10 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Parity is updated in real time - the check is just a housekeeping task to confirm that it really is good.

I am about to be tied up for most of today so wait for @JorgeB to give you guidance on the way to get your data back as it should still be intact.

Thanks; I did some quick skimming of related threads but I didn't want to follow any guidance haphazardly when dealing with family photos. (Which I already did by not doing anything when I had the emulated disk available to me before I unassigned it, 'doh).

The WD disk that failed(?) is still less than a year old so this came as a surprise. I'm now regretting not having a redundancy system in place. Which by the way, if anyone has suggestions for backing up to external storage, cloud (or both), that's user friendly and automated, I am now certainly all ears. Learning my lesson now!

Edited by dweezy

I also noticed my cache disk is now missing after a reboot. Is this an indication my psu is causing these failures? Seems like a weird coincidence. I'll shutdown the tower and call it a night as I've been pulling hairs for the past few hours skimming the forum and it's 3am here!

image.png.d01728c0e306d5f72e6be0cfb7e32fd1.png

On 11/12/2023 at 4:23 AM, JorgeB said:

Disk1 dropped offline, looks more like a power/connection problem, but since it dropped there's no SMART, check/replace cables (same for the missing cache) and post new diags after array start.

Finally managed to squeeze in some time to open up my tower and reseat cables. So far so good; the missing drives are visible once more and after mounting the disabled/unassigned drive, it looks like everything is still there. I ran a short SMART scan and no errors. I'm not confident what could have caused the errors to begin with as nothing has changed.

I attached the diagnostics after the array start.

artemis-diagnostics-20231114-1252.zip

As a precaution, I figured out how to share the unassigned drive across my network so that I can copy over data to my PC (just in case). If anyone comes across this thread and wondering how to do that, I did this:

1. Enable shares for Unassigned Devices by: Settings > Unassigned Devices > SMB Settings > SMB Sharing: Anything other than `Disabled`
  2. Mount your drive
  3. Click into Settings for your unassigned drive (cogs icon) and toggle SHARE > click DONE
  4. Reboot Unraid
  5. Drive should show up on your network now

----------------------------------------

I believe next I'll be rebuilding the disk after assigning it back to the array? Awaiting guidance there before proceeding! TIA