Complete Procedure of Removing Data Disk

jfr07

Hi everyone, newbie here, been running unraid for around 8 months, mainly to store photos and Plex with 4TB parity, 2x 4TB HDD + 1x 4TB SSD for data, and 1x 128GB NVMe for cache.

I'm planning to upgrade my hardware to run VM and I've read that SSD isn't recommended for data disk due to TRIM, so I want to throw out the current cache drive and use the 4TB SSD for cache. Currrently, said SSD is already filled with data, so I need to relocate the data to other drives.

I want to make sure that I don't miss any needed step and do everything in correct order to prevent data / config loss, is this correct?

- Stop every Docker Containers

- Install Unbalance, move datas from SSD to other HDDs

- Exclude the SSD from every share

- Set New Config, add the 4TB SSD as cache (does parity automatically rebuild after I apply New Config?)

Should I shutdown the system after parity has been rebuilt to detach the NVMe drive?

Thanks so much in advance.

@trurl Thank you for the response, so far I've successfully moved the data off the 4TB SSD, removed the NVMe cache drive, added the 4TB SSD to cache pool, and synced the parity. But I'm having trouble moving back the appdata folders to the current cache.

Currently the appdata folder is in data disk 1, I've set the share to use only cache (primary storage set to cache, secondary storage set to none). I tried moving the appdata folder in Unbalance but it gives warnings about permissions, and I can't use Safe New Perms on appdata. Do I need to invoke the mover (Array to Cache) so the current appdata folder in disk 1 is moved to cache, or am I missing something?

21 minutes ago, jfr07 said:

But I'm having trouble moving back the appdata folders to the current cache.

Currently the appdata folder is in data disk 1, I've set the share to use only cache (primary storage set to cache, secondary storage set to none).

You need to have secondary storage set to array and mover direction to be array->pool.    Now running mover will transfer files when it is run.  With the settings you currently have only NEW files are written to the cache and mover does nothing so leaves existing files on the array.

After all files have been moved so there are none left on the array you can change the secondary storage setting to none which will allow you to get the performance boost from it acting as an Exclusive share (as long as you have allowed Exclusive Shares under Settings->Global /share settings).