AMD Radeon Driver Transcoding Support

Hi, I've had unraid going on a new build for about a week now and can't find any real guides or videos on how to setup my Radeon 7800xt. I have an AMD 7900X3D CPU that's doing all the heavy transcoding within Tdarr currently but I'd like to utilize this GPU and on a few of my docker containers. I see a ton of easy info on Nvidia GPUs but none on AMD GPUs. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

There really isn't much out there, and what you can find for AMD and transcoding is scattered.  AMD pretty much ceded video transcoding to Nvidia and Intel for over a decade.  It has only been recent (the past year) where much of anything has been developed for AMD transcoding support and that has been for their APU, which have the Vega processor for their iGPU, not the Navi as in your 7800 XT.  So you likely won't find much support.

1 hour ago, BigDaddyDingDong said:

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

To further illustrate the point made by @ConnerVT here is a note from Plex regarding video transcoding with AMD GPUs:

*Note: Our hardware-transcoding system has technical support for many dedicated AMD graphics cards, but we haven’t done official, full testing on those. Support for AMD GPUs is provided “as is” and your mileage may vary. It is recommended that you use Intel Quick Sync Video or a dedicated NVIDIA GPU.

3 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

There really isn't much out there, and what you can find for AMD and transcoding is scattered.  AMD pretty much ceded video transcoding to Nvidia and Intel for over a decade.  It has only been recent (the past year) where much of anything has been developed for AMD transcoding support and that has been for their APU, which have the Vega processor for their iGPU, not the Navi as in your 7800 XT.  So you likely won't find much support.

Well that sucks, but I should be able to use this GPU for VM gaming correct? I've seen "A" video describing that process. Can you suggest any guides on setting up an AMD GPU for VM's? I typically nerd up as much as I can before performing something new.