New setup freezes constantly (within 10 min)

wizwiz
Go to solution Solved by wizwiz,

Hi,

New user trying to set up Unraid for the first time. I've had my ups and downs, a ton of hard restarts. It seems every time I try something new my computer freezes, and sometimes eventually the problems is solved.

I've done several memtests (12-24h), recently did SMART test for all my drives, checked all connecitons/updated mobo etc.

Right now I am setting up qBittorrent, adding/re-seeding recently moved files. I get maybe 10 minutes before the server freeze. I have barely had 24h running since I forst started.

Does my logs give any indications? Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20231211-0414.zip

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Are you sure that is the syslog produced by the syslog server?   I would expect that to have entries from before the last reboot.    It looks more like the standard syslog from RAM.

You were right, I had enabled the remote server instead. Once I switched to mirror to flash the server somehow has been running for 2h+.

I'll update this post once (if) starts to crash again. Thanks!

Edited by wizwiz
9 minutes ago, wizwiz said:

Ok, now it froze after 3h uptime..

Hopefully this syslog will be correct. Still not sure when to pull the drive - before shutting down of after.

If the log is wrong, where should would I find it? This one is from the 'logs' folder.

syslog 126.31 kB · 0 downloads

This is syslog was pulled after I shut down the server.

I am also seeing a lot of FSCK0001.REC (1-17).

syslog

21 minutes ago, wizwiz said:

Ok, now it froze after 3h uptime..

If the syslog includes a crash unfortunately there's nothing relevant logged, this usually points to a hardware issue, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

On 12/11/2023 at 5:52 PM, JorgeB said:

If the syslog includes a crash unfortunately there's nothing relevant logged, this usually points to a hardware issue, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

I have now tried switching to a new flash drive, tried with 1 RAM stick, followed by the other, changing power outlet.

I did have the server up for 10 hours yesterday after checking all connections inside, changing the mobo battery and resetting/shorting CMOS and changing macvlan to ipvlan. I was very happy and thought it was fixed. I was wrong

The server seems fine until i start an array, is this info irrelevant or could it point towards hardware (except possibly HDDs) being ok?

Next up, I think I will try an older version, perhaps 6.11.x and see if I get the same errors.

7 minutes ago, wizwiz said:

The server seems fine until i start an array, is this info irrelevant or could it point towards hardware (except possibly HDDs) being ok?

Difficult to say.

7 minutes ago, wizwiz said:

Next up, I think I will try an older version, perhaps 6.11.x and see if I get the same errors.

It's worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

I'll update this post if anyone else finds themselves in the same situation. After trying everything, and changing various parts I came to the conclusion that the RAM slots were having issues. Apparently I had screwed the CPU fan too hard, leading to some pin issue. I am hoping this is the final answer, the server has been up for 4 days now.