BTRFS corruption

Ishtar
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hey guys,

I noticed that my services went down today and as I reviewed the syslogs here's what it says

Dec 14 07:59:39 IshtarCommander kernel: BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p1): block=198824738816 write time tree block corruption detected 
Dec 14 07:59:39 IshtarCommander kernel: BTRFS: error (device nvme0n1p1) in btrfs_commit_transaction:2494: errno=-5 IO failure (Error while writing out transaction) 
Dec 14 07:59:39 IshtarCommander kernel: BTRFS info (device nvme0n1p1: state E): forced readonly

Diagnostics also attached.

While I've seen the same sort of error from other users but the solution seems to be a case-by-case basis. In this, I haven't made any changes or action yet.

Coindicidentally, there was a power outage after the event but I don't think it was the culprit at all. I have a UPS running and NUT plugin configured.

Could someone point me into the right direction to repair the corrupted pool?

For backups, unfortunately my appdata is backed up by Duplicacy which is on the same share (silly me) but that's going to be my next project.

ishtarcommander-diagnostics-20231214-2217.zip

22 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

This error usually means a hardware issue, most often bad RAM, but with the current kernel there have been some possible false positives, so I would recommend running memtest and if nothing is found try zfs instead.

I've done memtest on all sticks and didn't see any issues with the RAM

re: trying ZFS, I can possibly do that, but wouldn't the wipe the data in the pool?

Edited by Ishtar

Just an update with fixing uncorrectable errors. Most files were Plex thumbnails so I just deleted them and let Plex rebuild the files.

Unfortunately some corruptions are located in the docker image, so I'll have to delete the image and re-install the containers. It shouldn't be that complicated but it'll be a weekend project for me.

Will keep this post updated as usual

On 12/18/2023 at 1:07 PM, Ishtar said:

so I'll have to delete the image and re-install the containers. It shouldn't be that complicated but it'll be a weekend project for me.

This is actually very easy and is much quicker than you might think..   Follow the instructions to recreate the docker.img file and then reinstall your containers with previous settings intact via Apps->Previous Apps.

• Like 1