Reallocated sector ct & Faied USB key

SliMat

Morning guys

I needed to reboot my home UnRAID machine today and received a flurry of concerning alerts...

Event: Unraid device dev2 SMART health [5]
Subject: Warning [UNRAID] - reallocated sector ct is 177
Description: MB2000EAZNL_WMAY04119333_350014ee003203541 (dev2)
Importance: warning

Event: Unraid device dev2 SMART health [187]
Subject: Warning [UNRAID] - reported uncorrect is 1020

Event: Unraid device dev2 SMART health [199]
Subject: Warning [UNRAID] - udma crc error count is 13

Event: USB flash drive failure
Subject: Alert [UNRAID] - USB drive is not read-write
Description: ProductCode (sdc)
Importance: alert

I am guessing I have a rapidly failing dev2 as I had these 3 warnings by email in the order above?

Also a failed USB key (?) - It has booted into UnRAID, which surprises me if the key has failed! I have checked on Connect and it shows the last backup as this morning when I shut the server down;

image.png.67d7dfa433877e622ea4c1e3586220c3.png

I am assuming these are 2 completely separate faults and a replacement HDD and USB key will fix things?

If I get a replacement USB key, am I better off copying the 'failed' one or restoring from Connect?

Diags are attached.

Thanks

unraid-diagnostics-20231218-1023.zip

It looks like the device reporting issues is an Unassigned Device (/dev/sdi) rather than an array or pool device?

There IS a message in the syslog about a failure to read a block from the flash drive but I wonder if that is a side-effect of the drive showing problems (particularly if that drive is connected via USB) rather than a genuine problem with the flash drive.   You could try the process described here in the online documentation to rewrite the bz* type files - it will not do any harm and sometimes fixes being able to read marginal blocks from the flash drive.

Thanks @itimpi

/dev/sdi is a SATA disk which I use purely for CCTV recordings, so it is not part of the array as it is a sacrificial drive which is permanently being written to... so, if its failing I'll just replace it.

I was more concerned about the error showing on the Flash drive as I have never had a flash drive error. Ironically because of the age (10yrs +) of the USB disks I am using, I have just replaced the one in a rack server I have at a datacentre. The key in this machine is even older and does occasionally fail to boot and I have to reboot the server to get it to boot into UnRAID - so as a precaution I have ordered an 8Gb USB 2 key to be here tomorrow.

I will try following the process mentioned above when I get a chance tomorrow just to see what the outcome is.

Thanks again