Rsync Question

crowdx42
Go to solution Solved by crowdx42,

Hi all,

so I have two servers and I am running Rsync to back up one server to the other. The servers are connected via 10gig network. My script is pretty simple and I use user script plugin to run it. The issue I have is two fold, first, the sync seems to be copying everything across, even though the destination folders already have most of the data in it. Secondly, the speed of sync seems very slow, 30kb or so, for the most part.
This is a sample of the scripts I am using:
rsync -avh "/mnt/remotes/UNRAID_My Files" "/mnt/user/My Files"

I use this command to do exactly what you want to do:

rsync -avhPX /mnt/remotes/192.168.1.245_Media/All\ Movies/ /mnt/user/BackupMedia/All\ Movies/

The trailing slash  (   /   ) after All\ Movies  copies only the contents of the All Movies directory.  Without  that slash, it also copies the actual directory

The forward slash  (   \    )     in All\ Movies 'tells' BASH to ignore the trailing space from being interpreted as a true space which BASH would have used to indicate the start of a new parameter.   (This use of the forward slash eliminates the need to the quotes for parameters with spaces.)

(As I recall, the parameter string will copy over any files that are either new or have been updated in the source when compared to the files in the destination.)

If you type the following command, you will get the help file:  

rsync --help

I copied out the output of this command and put it into a text file as I find a printed document easier to read.

1 hour ago, crowdx42 said:

speed of sync seems very slow, 30kb or so, for the most part

Did you mean KB   or Kb?  These abbreviations have two different meanings!  One is Kilo Bytes and the other is Kilo bits .  

If you expect to copy process to be bigger than the size of the cache (or if the share does use not a cache), this is KB, it is about the speed that could be expected once the caches are full.  (Unraid use unused RAM to cache writes...)   This can be speed up if you set this parameter in   SETTINGS    >>>    Disk Settings     as shown:

image.png.19a2fe889a156297dc205020ab471900.png

If things don't speed up, report back and include your Diagnostics on both servers.

Edited by Frank1940