Seeking Advice on Optimizing UNRAID Server Configuration with Mixed Drives

Happy New Year, Everyone!

I'm in the process of configuring my UNRAID server. My current setup includes 4 x 20TB HDDs, 2 x 500GB SSDs, and 2 x 2TB SSDs. I've already set up a disk array with the 4x20TB HDDs, designating one as a parity drive, and have configured the 2x500GB SSDs as a RAID1 cache.

Now, I'm left with 2TB SSDs unassigned and I'm considering the best way to utilize them to maximize disk space and speed. My intention is to use these SSDs for storing frequently accessed files on a day-to-day basis. With the latest version of the software, is it possible to integrate these SSDs into the main array alongside the mechanical disks? Should I set up another share or would it be more beneficial to establish a cache pool?

I'm looking forward to your suggestions and insights on optimizing this setup.

Thank you in advance for your help!

SSD cannot be trimmed when in the Array.  While they can be assigned to the array, they may degrade over time and give you errors.  Not a good solution for a long term plan.

What I have done is create separate pools for three of my drives: 2TB NVMe, 2TB SSD and an ancient 120GB SSD I've repurposed many times since 2012.

2TB NVMe- Used for system and appdata Shares, as well as cache for most of my other shares (except Media)

2TB SSD - Used to support VMs.  It has my domain and iso Shares.  Fast storage for VMs and I like having it on a dedicated drive.

120GB - Used for my transcoding working directories/shares (Plex/Handbrake/ffmpeg).  I've had this drive forever.  I lost count how many systems it has been used.  Too small to use for much else, so I will keep trying to get it to error - something it has never done (according to SMART).

What's great about Unraid is there is no "Right Way" to do things.  Go with what works best for your needs.

Edited by ConnerVT
speeling
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello there,

I'm also new to unRAID, and I've been immersed in learning everything about it for the past few days through extensive reading and watching numerous videos.

Your question is very relevant to my current situation, so I'd like to give this thread a bump. Here's my setup:

2x 10TB HDDs

1x 4TB HDD

1x 2TB HDD

1x 1TB SSD

1x 256GB SSD

I'm seeking advice on the optimal configuration to make the most of my hardware. I've come across information stating that SSDs in arrays might not be ideal due to the lack of trim, but I'm unsure if this has changed in the 6.12 version. Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from the experienced community members!

Thank you in advance for your guidance!

On 1/2/2024 at 1:26 PM, ConnerVT said:

What's great about Unraid is there is no "Right Way" to do things.  Go with what works best for your needs.

Hate to repeat myself, but it always depends on your needs.

1TB or 256GB as cache?  All depends on your work loads.

What is the largest amount of data you will copy to your cached enabled array share?  I back up a few desktop systems, with full (compressed) images approaching 700GB,  So 256GB wouldn't work for me at all.

I also have Usenet downloads go to a cached share, but set my Media share non-cache enabled.  Makes no sense to download a file to cache, then "move" it to cache for the mover to then move it to the array.  Might as well have it moved to the array right after the download is complete.

You need to understand your work flows, then decide what is best.