Macvlan Crashes 6.12.6

2 hours ago, NewDisplayName said:

nows a good time for some smart data reading...?

Unraid only reads the SMART data when it thinks a drive that was previously spun down has just been spun up (typically due to it being accessed).

The screenshots you posted from the Activity plugin have all been cur off to the right so no way to see what files/folders are being accessed to give a clue as to the culprit.

On 1/20/2024 at 1:12 PM, anideind said:

I've been scouring the internet for the last few days trying to find a solution, but to no avail. Changing the setting described above doesn't help. I just want it to work the way it did before I updated.

Ill give up, it froze again, interestingly IT DIDNT crashed while doing NO parity. (i just let it sit because i thought like if it crashes again, no need to try to parity sync)

Then after 2 days i was like maybe its working this time, so yesterday evening i enabled sync, and crash.... Oo (no logs at this point, but ill add them later)

If there is again NOTHING in logs i go back to ipvlan (i just did some port forwardings i can use later)

Just now, NewDisplayName said:

Why you think ive cut it away? Nothing unusual gets opend... 

You just need to know which drive it is.

Not true.   I think it is possible knowing what files they were might give a strong clue as to what application area is involved.

2 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

Just tell me what you think. Its just files beeing accessed by dockers i know.

Then the issue could be with the dockers involved.   Plex for instance in some of its releases has a history of bringing down the server.

28 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Then the issue could be with the dockers involved.   Plex for instance in some of its releases has a history of bringing down the server.

Yes it could be. Also plex wasnt beeing used while it crashed. Maybe it did access some files for refresh or anything, but nothing playing.

But how u explain not a single crash for months and years? I mean not a single crash or bluescreen or anything for a long time. Same dockers, plugins, vms, only difference is macvlan. Different CPU, RAM, MB, PS, but same problem with macvlan.

Anyway it crashed again without any log, it just displayed a empty line. So im going back to ipvlan. Very sad that you couldnt figure this out. (and i dont feel like you guys can fix it)

Edited by NewDisplayName
2 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

But how u explain not a single crash for months and years? I mean not a single crash or bluescreen or anything for a long time. Same dockers, plugins, vms, only difference is macvlan. Different CPU, RAM, MB, PS, but same problem with macvlan.

The increase in macvlan related issues seems to be a by-product of the kernel version that Linux is using combined with the specific hardware combinations.  I assume the Limetech are trying to finally resolve this issue but not that hopeful as it has gone for a very long time but it is always possible that a newer kernel in a future Unraid release will help.

However I mentioned plex as that can crash the server even when you do not have macvlan issues.   I think in particular it occurred with a recent beta release.

Yeah, we will see, if you want i report back in a week or so?

I dont think we will see another crash for quite some time without macvlan.

But do you know what i noticed?

It didnt crash when i didnt parity SYNC, so it was just HOURS later after i pressed sync it crashed. Without sync it was running for like 2 days. 

Has macvlan anything to do with that?

unraid was rock solid till 6.10 or something

Edited by NewDisplayName
1 minute ago, NewDisplayName said:

It didnt crash when i didnt parity SYNC, so it was just HOURS later after i pressed sync it crashed. Without sync it was running for like 2 days.

Definitely a good data point.     

Normally crashing during a sync is most likely to point toward power/PSU issues as that tends to be when the system is most heavily loaded but it could be a complete red herring in this case.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Definitely a good data point.     

Normally crashing during a sync is most likely to point toward power/PSU issues as that tends to be when the system is most heavily loaded but it could be a complete red herring in this case.

Yes, but why only when in macvlan? Maybe it just triggers it faster.

Im currently rebuilding with ipvlan.

root@Unraid-Server:~# docker network ls
WARNING: Error loading config file: /root/.docker/config.json: read /root/.docker/config.json: is a directory
NETWORK ID     NAME                   DRIVER    SCOPE
9c02e6451544   br0                    ipvlan    local
ffa2b65b637b   bridge                 bridge    local
ba7d287b5243   filesharing            bridge    local
c426a08021c6   host                   host      local
d2b93c4c6a03   none                   null      local
a6339c7cf36b   watchtower_default     bridge    local
514fa62878e3   watchtower_webserver   bridge    local
04fb1877a554   webserver_webserver    bridge    local

image.thumb.png.b0a9462d309186398347ffdca6dbd4d2.png

image.thumb.png.00e14894870fbeebcdae3e432ad6470c.png

does that look correct?