Disk 1 is unmountable after re-booting

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

I rebooted my system and Disk 1 become 'unmountable'. I checked the disk in maintenance mode, and attempted to run an xfs repair on the disk. This led to an error, so I ran -L to see if that would repair the drive (per the SpaceInvader One xfs repair video). After running -n again to check, it seems there are new errors with the disk, and the disk still refuses to mount.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I've attached a smart report that was completed before the xfs repair, and the output of the xfs repair.

Thanks!

ST14000NM001G-2KJ103_ZTM0ELAF-20240125-1934.txt xfsrepair.txt

The xfs_repair output you posted shows that was severe corruption, but that it was not being fixed due to -n being used.

Was the disk also disabled (marked with a red 'x')?

You should post your system's diagnostics zip file in your next post in this thread to get more informed feedback.  It is always a good idea to post this if your question might involve us seeing what hardware you have, how you have things set up, or to look at recent logs.  It also includes information such as SMART reports for all drives.

No, the disk has not shown that it is disabled. I tried running xfs repair again and to my surprise I think it worked. I restarted the array and Disk1 is now accessible, and I can see the files. 

I tried running a parity check (non-correcting), and it went very slowly (~300kbps), so I canceled it. Running a smart test on Disk 1 also yielded an error message (something about being interrupted by host), so I set the disk spindown to never and am in the process of running the extended test again.

I've also tried switching the SATA data/power cables around (after a clean shutdown) to see if that would improve anything.

unraidserver-diagnostics-20240126-1654.zip

• Solution

Disk1 mounted and plenty of data. Doesn't look like repair resulted in any lost+found.

In future better if you post the results of repair. I assume you did it from the webUI, or at least got the command line correct.

SMART for all disks looks fine. Looks like connection problems with disk1.

Not related, your appdata, domains, system shares have files on the array.

Good news, I replaced the SATA cable again and it seems to have fixed the issue. I'm currently running a non-correcting parity check at ~150MBps and ~3000 sync errors. Could I run into any issues running a correcting parity afterwards to remove the sync errors?

@trurl is it best practice to keep those on the array? I do not use VMs, but run a few docker apps (Photoprism/Jellyfin) normally.