Disk Replacement Issue

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it still shows as contents emulated so it's started another rebuild onto itself. I've tried this a couple times today and the drive returns errors after a couple hours and stops the rebuild process. We'll see if it does it again now that I've reseated everything.

I noticed some corruption on disk4 in earlier diagnostics, and these still show that, but since disk4 is mounting and there were multiple connection problems, I wanted to leave that for later after all connections were working well and disk1 had been rebuilt. Just leaving this here for future reference.

Disk1 has disconnected. Which controller is it on?

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:2922] (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [15d9:d780]
	Kernel driver in use: ahci
	Kernel modules: ahci

01:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: HighPoint Technologies, Inc. Device [1103:2720] (rev 03)
	Subsystem: HighPoint Technologies, Inc. Device [1103:0000]
	Kernel driver in use: mvsas
	Kernel modules: mvsas

There is also this one in lspci, but I'm not sure what it is and it doesn't seem to have a driver

11:04.0 Mass storage controller [0180]: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. ITE 8211F Single Channel UDMA 133 [1283:8211] (rev 11)
	Subsystem: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. ITE 8211F Single Channel UDMA 133 [1283:8211]

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

Disk1 has disconnected. Which controller is it on?

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:2922] (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [15d9:d780]
	Kernel driver in use: ahci
	Kernel modules: ahci

01:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: HighPoint Technologies, Inc. Device [1103:2720] (rev 03)
	Subsystem: HighPoint Technologies, Inc. Device [1103:0000]
	Kernel driver in use: mvsas
	Kernel modules: mvsas

There is also this one in lspci, but I'm not sure what it is and it doesn't seem to have a driver

11:04.0 Mass storage controller [0180]: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. ITE 8211F Single Channel UDMA 133 [1283:8211] (rev 11)
	Subsystem: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. ITE 8211F Single Channel UDMA 133 [1283:8211]

Now we're getting a bit beyond me. I honestly can't say which controller it's on. I only have one RAID card and it has two breakout cables connected to it that run both cages. Offhand, I'd assume all disks run off the SATA controller, but I couldn't say for sure.

Where can I find the steps for a new config and rebuilding parity. With all these connection issues, I'll probably have to replace the controller, the breakout cables, or both and in the meantime I'm nervous having no parity protection.

Ok thanks. It's now doing a parity-sync. Now I just need to figure out what to do from this point forward. I can't tell if the drive is at fault for disconnecting or the cables or the controller. Will unraid complain if I swap out the RAID controller and breakout cables or do I have to fiddle with the unraid GUI to accommodate that? 

Doesn't look like you were actually using RAID, so Unraid should be fine with identifying your disks. Just make sure if you change the controller the new controller isn't using RAID either.

You should backup flash drive after any significant changes in the webUI, especially disk assignments. (The diagnostics already posted will also let us see what the disk assignments were at that time.)

Ok so now something weird is happening. The parity sync is still ongoing, but in the meantime, I have a whole folder full of files that currently shows as empty when I access it from Windows. All other folders have files in them and I can still see the files if I go through the unraid file explorer. They're all media files, but as I said, other media on the array are showing up fine. It's not like I just lost a few files from the new configuration, the entire folder is empty even though the folder itself is still there. The media files I'm trying to access are spread across all drives in the array according to the unraid file explorer. I just can't see any contents of this one folder through Windows. I know the shares are fine because other media still shows up. Any thoughts?

Ok the parity sync is done. Now when I stop the array to put it into maintenance mode, Disk 4 is listed as disabled and contents emulated again. So that raises a new question. Do I continue in maintenance mode to check the filesystem on Disk 4 as suggested above or do I try replacing Disk 4 with the drive I just bought that I tried previously adding as Disk 1 and then rebuilding? Here's a new diagnostic.

storage-diagnostics-20240129-1606.zip

As you can see from the very large numbers in the Errors column that didn't go well.

I think we have to assume parity is invalid. So it can't be used to rebuild disabled disk4. We will just have to hope we can repair disk4 and then try to rebuild parity again.

You have completely filled logs so we can't even see what is happening now or in the future unless you reboot.

GIve me a few minutes to review the thread and earlier diagnostics.