Raid array ignoring one of the disks?

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

48 minutes ago, trurl said:

Did you rebuild the 4TBs onto 8TBs, or what?

So what I tried...

• at first I had the parity disk rebuilt onto the new 8tb
  • then swapped one of the data disks and let that rebuild from the parity
  • then stupidly tried to do the 2 remaining disks at once - preclear > rebuild
  • that lead to an error of incorrect disk config (something along those lines)
  • Then I follow some instructions here in the forum to use the New Config tool to fix that
  • It started to re-write my parity and lost all data except for 1 of the new 8tb disks
  • So ive started downloading stuff again and its spreading across the disks like the screenshots.
  • then tried that lead to just losing data, which is fine, I can download it again.
  • But now in redownloading stuff, its not spreading across the disks very evenly
Edited by The Black Torpedo
55 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread. it is always a good idea when asking questions to supply your diagnostics so we can see details of your system, how you have things configured, and the current syslog.

I tired to but I cant copy the file from my unraid server, it just says "Permission denied" and the documentation on that page does not explain what to do there

root@user-OptiPlex-7040:/mnt/unraid/usenet# cp unraid-server-diagnostics-20240130-1615.zip /home/user/Downloads/
cp: cannot open 'unraid-server-diagnostics-20240130-1615.zip' for reading: Permission denied

Edit: I managed to get the syslog, attached.unraid-server-syslog-20240130-0339.zip

Edit: and the diagnostics

unraid-server-diagnostics-20240130-1641.zip

Edited by The Black Torpedo
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Why do you need to download anything. Don't you still have the original 4TB disks with their contents?

Again stupidly I formatted and re-sold the disks (to help cover costs of the 8TB ones) sigh.. lesson learned, thankfully all important stuff was backing up via cloudberry to an s3 bucket. Just have to get the media again

1 hour ago, trurl said:

I understand why all of the data is going to the first disk, because it hasn't hit highwater yet, but will soon. What I don't understand is why any files are on disk3.

What is the purpose of this user share?

y-----e                           shareUseCache="only"    # Share exists on cache, disk3

Hmm, Perhaps its because Disk 3 was the one disk that rebuilt from the parity before I botched everything up for the remaining disks?
Its a share for youtube-dl-server just houses downloaded youtube vids 

Highwater Allocation is the default for good reason. Disk1 will reach the first highwater when it's half full. Then it will move on to disk2

7 minutes ago, The Black Torpedo said:

lesson learned

Not clear you learned how to replace disks though. Please ask for advice in the future.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Highwater Allocation is the default for good reason. Disk1 will reach the first highwater when it's half full. Then it will move on to disk2

Not clear you learned how to replace disks though. Please ask for advice in the future.

Ha! its just started to write to Disk 2 now, phew! Thanks again