Read errors - OK to replace with larger disk?

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

I have an 8TB disk which has reported 93 read errors during a (now paused) parity check. I have a 16TB pre-cleared disk on hand to replace it. Can I just cancel the parity check and replace the 8TB disk with the larger one? (My dual parity drives are 16TB).

I think the answer is "yes", but just want to check in case I mess up something.

• Solution

Does look like a disk problem on disk 6. You might run an extended SMART self-test on it.

But if you want to replace with a larger disk, that seems like a good idea also, since you need more capacity.

Do any of your other disks have SMART warnings ( 👎 ) on the Dashboard page?

I do have SMART warning on 6 out of the other 9 disks, but they are all UDMA CRC Error count warnings. I suppose it sounds bad, but from what I've read, this type of error is usually an indication of a loose wiring connection and the system has had to rely on this error correction to ensure that the data being read/written is correct. (For casual readers, please don't assume this is correct - it's just my impression from reading.)

Generally these error counts don't change unless I've opened up the case and replaced a hard disk or perhaps during a parity check. So I assume vibration or movement has loosened something. But after a few warnings the error count doesn't increase. I've taken a look at the various SATA connectors and can't see anything obviously wrong.

So now I just ignore the errors unless the error count increases consistently. (My server runs 24x7.) Think this might have happened once or twice, but not recently. And I think I "fixed" it by jiggling SATA connectors or just swapping them.