Lost my parity drive because of a bad non-array drive?

I had a hard drive failure on one of the non-array pools (separate pool for backup drives)(checked power, sata cables; used different sata controllers).

Because of the drive failure, I couldn't mount the array, nor could I mount any pools.

So I reset the hardware configuration, and preserved the drive assignments, and now I can mount the array/pools.

But when I go to start the array (and all the pools), I have the message:

"All existing data on this device [parity drive] will be OVERWRITTEN when array is Started".

image.thumb.png.8ba6c384aaae592a4cb6c544e5b32e3b.png

Worse, the drive that failed was my backup drive!  So now I'm left without both my parity drive and without a backup.

Why?

What did I do wrong?

What should I have done?

tower-diagnostics-20240213-1957.zip

Edited by Jaybau

Upon scrolling down to the bottom of the screen, I see the option to select "Parity is already valid."  This ignores the above action, and won't overwrite/erase the parity drive.

And just to make sure, after bringing the main array online, I manually forced a parity check.

All is good.  Thank you.

Special note for a future enhancement: I do wish a bad drive outside of the main array (separate pool) didn't bring everything down and affect other pools.  Wish the pools were isolated.

image.png

17 minutes ago, Jaybau said:

Special note for a future enhancement: I do wish a bad drive outside of the main array (separate pool) didn't bring everything down and affect other pools.  Wish the pools were isolated.

Never heard of this happening and since we have no more information from you when it happened, probably won't be able to know what happened.