[PLUGIN] asustor platform drivers

This is the (empty for now) support thread for the asustor platform drivers. This allows for fan and LED control of ASUStor NASs under unraid. 

The plugin was kindly built by @ich777 but is supported by @Terebi

Users of this plugin may also be interested in this guide : 

Edited by Terebi
  • Like 1
  • ich777 changed the title to [PLUGIN] asustor platform drivers
  • 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Videodr0me said:

How do i use this? I installed it on a Asustor6510T running unraid 6.12.8 and rebootet. Nothing really changed - all LEDs are still always on. Do i need to do something to control the LEDs?

This plugin is just drivers, by default it will probably not alter default behavior. 

There is an existing LED plugin in the appstore that may work now, once these drivers are installed, but I'm not sure.  The only thing I have used them so far is fan to enable fan control.

43 minutes ago, Videodr0me said:

How do i use this? I installed it on a Asustor6510T running unraid 6.12.8 and rebootet. Nothing really changed - all LEDs are still always on. Do i need to do something to control the LEDs?

This only provides the drivers to access the hardware. This is from a project on github  https://github.com/mafredri/asustor-platform-driver that was developed on Asustor hardware running Debian.  This Unraid plugin gets it available on the Asustor hardware running Unraid.  If you read down in the github link, it explains how to control the LED lights. I believe @Terebi has only used it for fan control so far.  That's all I have done with it. Using this it87 driver addresses the problem with the inverted pwm fancontrol on the Asustor hardware.  I have played around and tried the LED lights and I can control them, but I haven't had time to go further with them. 

Mathias also has another repository here: https://github.com/mafredri/lcm that he used to control the Asustor LCD screen through its serial communication port.  I would like to eventually do this, but again I'm short on time to work on it now.

9 hours ago, KO-RAM2023 said:

If you read down in the github link, it explains how to control the LED lights. I believe @Terebi has only used it for fan control so far.  That's all I have done with it. Using this it87 driver addresses the problem with the inverted pwm fancontrol on the Asustor hardware.  I have played around and tried the LED lights and I can control them, but I haven't had time to go further with them. 

For just fan control you do not really need this, you can just force a similar enough it87 module. On the 6510T I found

modprobe -r it87
modprobe it87 force_id=0x8628 fix_pwm_polarity=1

to work quite well (you also need the lax option enabled). On my previous 5110T just modprobe it87 fix_pwm_polarity=1 sufficed.

But i its of course much neater to have a proper asustor it87 module, I will try loading it via modprobe and see if it works on the 6510T later. Just as you i always wanted to get around controlling the LEDs and the LCD display, and also found the mentioned repos, but i also never got around to actually doing something with it. If anybody has already done so (regardless of asustor model) any code snipped to change the LCD text would be much appreciated.

Edited by Videodr0me
On 3/1/2024 at 2:13 AM, Videodr0me said:

For just fan control you do not really need this, you can just force a similar enough it87 module. On the 6510T I found

modprobe -r it87
modprobe it87 force_id=0x8628 fix_pwm_polarity=1

to work quite well (you also need the lax option enabled). On my previous 5110T just modprobe it87 fix_pwm_polarity=1 sufficed.

But i its of course much neater to have a proper asustor it87 module, I will try loading it via modprobe and see if it works on the 6510T later. Just as you i always wanted to get around controlling the LEDs and the LCD display, and also found the mentioned repos, but i also never got around to actually doing something with it. If anybody has already done so (regardless of asustor model) any code snipped to change the LCD text would be much appreciated.

Several of us were using those tricks to get fan control before, but since pwm polarity is reversed in that setup, none of the other plugins that control fans work. With these drivers, polarity is correct, and so you can use other fan plugins.   There may be other additioal reasons to use the driver, but since it was just added to unraid we are all still figuring out what we can do. 

On 3/3/2024 at 11:34 PM, Terebi said:

Several of us were using those tricks to get fan control before, but since pwm polarity is reversed in that setup, none of the other plugins that control fans work. With these drivers, polarity is correct, and so you can use other fan plugins.   There may be other additioal reasons to use the driver, but since it was just added to unraid we are all still figuring out what we can do. 

Just wanted to provide the info for the 6510T - and yes for this hacky solution i had to modify the fan control script. I did not yet had the time to test the new driver on that asustor model. If it works, its naturally a better solution than these tricks.

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of asustor nas - does anyone here have a scooby doo [thats clue] on how to access the bios?

I have an old AS302T that i want to mess about with but not having any luck with esc, f2, f8 f10 and f12.

is there a sequence of key presses or any such 'trickery' 

thanks