VM Pause from vdisk capacity overflow

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'm running a server with an Unraid VM on it. After a couple of hours, the VM pauses and stops running a Helix Core host (file sharing and revision history service). I believe this is due to the vdisk reaching it's capacity (as shown in the screenshot below). When it pauses, I have to power cycle the server to get it running again.

1) Is there any easier way to get it off of the paused state?

2) How can I avoid getting to a paused state?

Thanks in advance for the help.

image.png

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Use a larger storage device for the vdisk? Also make sure the vdisk is being trimmed:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/51703-vm-faq/?do=findComment&comment=557606

Thanks for the help! I think I'm on the right path for trimming the disk but I'm not sure where to find the SCSI driver. I navigated to E:\vioscsi\w10 but don't have a driver there. I assume my issue is in step 1 of the link you sent me "First we need to install the SCSI controller".

image.thumb.png.245a4b2968be5c8eb79cea0fe5668ce1.png

I tried moving on anyway with the steps as if an SCSI driver was already installed. When I tried to reboot, Windows would crash. I made sure beforehand have fast startup off to avoid that but still had problems.

image.thumb.png.eeb874796864a196938de842e1bf9fc2.png

Any guidance?

9 minutes ago, lwintz said:

Thanks for the help! I think I'm on the right path for trimming the disk but I'm not sure where to find the SCSI driver

As of lately you don't need the SCSI driver, it's mentioned in the FAQ entry, just add the unmap=discard option, that should be enough.

9 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

As of lately you don't need the SCSI driver, it's mentioned in the FAQ entry, just add the unmap=discard option, that should be enough.

Windows still crashes whenever I try to run the VM after adding that. Specifically the stop code is "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE".

image.thumb.png.9b76b0a5ac85ad787a2841e0155d398e.png

This is the current set up

image.thumb.png.aaaae166440459412d08b2acbf7e7650.png

Edited by lwintz
3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

It's visible on your first screenshot, change back to virito, but leave the unmap=discard option

changed the bus for vdisk1 back to virtio with the unmap=discard. Had another capacity and allocation = 100G pause as described in my first screenshot. Also, just want to thank you again for helping.

image.thumb.png.10fe0c4c5816c3aaf19ae3630c2f80c9.png

EDIT

Started sending them again and am now stuck at this. The capacity is much larger than the allocation but it still paused itself automatically.

image.thumb.png.61003d929730430c74158b9e0839d9a2.png

Edited by lwintz
On 2/21/2024 at 11:00 AM, JorgeB said:

How is the available space of the actual storage device where the vdisk resides?

There are 3 8 TB disks that have parity to each other. I'm not sure how I would find the location of the vdisk. I know that "mnt/" refers to the location it's mounted on the drive, but I don't know how to find where that actually is.

3 hours ago, lwintz said:

There are 3 8 TB disks that have parity to each other. I'm not sure how I would find the location of the vdisk. I know that "mnt/" refers to the location it's mounted on the drive, but I don't know how to find where that actually is.

getfattr --absolute-names --only-values -n system.LOCATION /mnt/user/domains/vm name/vdisk1.img should tell you the physical location

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

It should output more results.

Misread your comment

image.png.bbeea816fa5c0984eae1756fce0215d4.png

14 minutes ago, SimonF said:

getfattr --absolute-names --only-values -n system.LOCATION /mnt/user/domains/vm name/vdisk1.img should tell you the physical location

image.thumb.png.d6be52268f0bb3afd9f49d7972259195.png

Edited by lwintz
1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Cache has plenty of space, I'm afraid that if it's still pausing, there may be an issue with the vdisk.

Meaning how it's been set up? How the data is allocated? Would I need to recreate my VM if I wanted to change my vdisk?

4 hours ago, lwintz said:

Meaning how it's been set up? How the data is allocated? Would I need to recreate my VM if I wanted to change my vdisk?

Have you increase the partition within the disk also? Also check you have set power options not to suspend etc.