Accessing Windows Network Sharing via Unraid (confusing please read)

Okay Here's the situation. 

I will have a NAS at a remote location as a backup NAS for my main Unraid server. This will be at my retired mother's house. As her main tech support I want to be able to access her desktop Windows shared data. In my mind I will VPN to the remote unraid box. Figure I'd need a Windows VM. I would want to bring up the VM and then browse her networked Windows machines to be able to move things like pictures of our kids to her pictures folder or vic versa. All with permission of course :) 

I don't want to have to run anything special on her desktop like a VNC. She's in another state so dealing with keeping up with dynamic IP changes, etc would be a hassle in my mind. Being on her network already with my configured Unraid NAS I assume network shares (windows) would stay available even with IP changes. 

Is this doable? Am I making it too complicated? Am I on the right track with a windows VM on the remote NAS? Thank you 

Look at this solution:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-use-remote-desktop-5fe128d5-8fb1-7a23-3b8a-41e636865e8c

As I understand it, You do need Windows PRO for the remote computer.  The instructions are not that clear. so you will probably have to do a bit more googling.  (BTW, this is often the tool that "this is Microsoft support and you have a problem" Scammers use to get access to the victim's computer...)