Too many wrong and/or missing disks

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

Tried updating from 6.12.5 to 6.12.8 and after reboot my array doesn't start, 4 of my 8 disks report "Wrong".

My array consists of 8 disks, 4 18TB and 4 12TB.

2 18TB disks as parity and the rest as data.

The disks that are reporting Wrong are all the 12TB.

Tried reverting back to 6.12.5 but it's still showing "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!".

No physical interaction with the server happened, just the reboot for the update.

Also tried the "Tools -> New Config" before downgrading, but after starting the array i got a "unmountable (wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock)" on all the affected disks.

All disks in my array are directly connected to the motherboard.

Can someone help me?

valhalla-diagnostics-20240228-1706.zip

This happened to me and did the downgrade too still same issue. Upgraded since it was not a software issue.

In my case my raid card was detected but is did not see any of the drive on the expander card.

Reset everything no drives still.

plug in black plane directly to raid card, had some drives. after many test all drives were there but no when plugged into the expander. I thought it was the expander but i moved to different port on the raid card and boom all the drives were there. It seems in my case a port on the raid card died.

any ways

TL:DR check you hardware.

• Solution

Type:

sgdisk -o -a 8 -n 1:1M:0 /dev/sdX

Where X should be replaced with the correct letter for each of the "wrong" disks, as of last diags they were /dev/sdg, sdf, sdh, sdi, then reboot the disks should no longer show as wrong, and they should mount normally.

P.S. Before rebooting you can take the opportunity to upgrade back to v6.12.8 and only then reboot, since all previous v6.12 releases have this corner case bug, this can happen when formatting/adding a new array disk that had a previous partition, that conforms to a layout that Unraid accepts, after the formatting them everything looks fine, but after the first reboot you will get the "disk wrong" issue.

• Like 1