SMB Share between two unraid servers

Hi

I have two unraid servers, I am trying to share our two SATA drives from my second unraid server to the first one. I have installed unassigned devices plugin on both servers.

I have formatted and set both SATA drives as NFS and mounted them locally, I have then mounted them as SMB drives on the first server. They have been mounted successfully on the first server, my question is I can't add the two SMB mounted drives to the array or see them in my media share on the target server.

Is there a way to use mounted drives on a second server as media expansion?

Thanks

Cormac

Thanks for the response, is there a way to see them in the share I use for media. I don't really need them added to the array on the other server more than I can use the remote drives to store downloads on for Plex.

28 minutes ago, cormac said:

Thanks for the response, is there a way to see them in the share I use for media. I don't really need them added to the array on the other server more than I can use the remote drives to store downloads on for Plex.

Not sure if Symlink / soft links will work, but why you don't just map multiple drives in your main PC?

You can add different sources to your Plex (Array, SMB shares, unassigned drives, etc.)

I have ran out of SATA slots on my pc I am using for Plex, I have a couple of SATA drives on the other pc. I would like to add to the overall storage hence the reason I ask. I do believe I seen somewhere before that people said you could share drives between servers

I setup two UD mount shares on pc2 with both SATA drives. I can then setup a SMB mapping on pc1 to either share on pc2, but how do I see that in my media share on pc1 so sonarr or radarr can move finished downloads to the remote shares, thanks for the responses by the way

1 minute ago, cormac said:

I setup two UD mount shares on pc2 with both SATA drives. I can then setup a SMB mapping on pc1 to either share on pc2, but how do I see that in my media share on pc1 so sonarr or radarr can move finished downloads to the remote shares, thanks for the responses by the way

Are your apps installed as dockers in UnRaid? Add the paths of the SMB shares and UD moints to the dockers, then add them as a new source. 

Yes sonarr and radarr are installed as docker containers. I have two shares setup at the minute one for data which is a downloads share, the other is media which is a media folder share. I see when I edit the radarr docker container I can add an additional path, can you provide info on how to add a path and how it works? Cheers again

1 hour ago, cormac said:

Yes sonarr and radarr are installed as docker containers. I have two shares setup at the minute one for data which is a downloads share, the other is media which is a media folder share. I see when I edit the radarr docker container I can add an additional path, can you provide info on how to add a path and how it works? Cheers again

I'm not familiar with sonarr and radarr, but this should work:

- Edit the docker

- "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device"

- The SMB share will be under this path "/mnt/remotes/<SMB Share Name>/"

Then the docker will have access to the SMB share similar to the array

image.thumb.png.623aec304f62edce47d839e144a0d859.png

• 1 month later...

@HAMANYA related question I'm having (at least, I think it is related) is permissions. 

I have two unRAID servers with local drives and I want to cross mount between the two servers. I created shares, set the NFS and SMB to secure and on SMB I set the user and permissions. 

When I mount the shares using Unassigned Devices plug in, they mount fine but the permissions are for guest and they are read only. Is there a different plug in to mount with authentication? I know how to do this with the command line but I really would prefer to keep it in the GUI if possible since others aren't as savvy with the command line. 

I appreciate any insight you might have.

5 hours ago, Chris H said:

@HAMANYA related question I'm having (at least, I think it is related) is permissions. 

I have two unRAID servers with local drives and I want to cross mount between the two servers. I created shares, set the NFS and SMB to secure and on SMB I set the user and permissions. 

When I mount the shares using Unassigned Devices plug in, they mount fine but the permissions are for guest and they are read only. Is there a different plug in to mount with authentication? I know how to do this with the command line but I really would prefer to keep it in the GUI if possible since others aren't as savvy with the command line. 

I appreciate any insight you might have.

It took a while but I figured this out - commenting for others. 

When you add a share, you have the option of the Penguin icon or the Windows icon. There is no description of either and since I'm on a Linux (or MacOS) I automatically picked the Penguin icon. What I found is the Penguin icon stands for NFS and the Windows icon stands for SMB. Once I picked the Windows icon it prompted me for the username and password.

Mind you, I am still baffled by the use of icons and no text as it isn't accessible at all and I don't think it is intuitive (obviously) but that might just be me.

• Thanks 1