Frequent system lockups/crashes in last 6 weeks

Go to solution Solved by vw-kombi,

I can report a successful parity sync - with all my usual stuff running.

Maybe the UPS connection really helps here.

Monitoring the log files and only these things to report :

Mar 15 10:09:49 Tower kernel: traps: lsof[5765] general protection fault ip:14c84ce0ec6e sp:9b917bd0db55c780 error:0 in libc-2.37.so[14c84cdf6000+169000]

Mar 15 12:40:09 Tower kernel: traps: lsof[25961] general protection fault ip:147649689c6e sp:ef64b13a79b916f4 error:0 in libc-2.37.so[147649671000+169000]

Im battling it now and it is worse - about two restarts / lockups a day.

I have new cpu, mobo and ram arriving today.

Last nights lockup also took out a docker (dead), so i did the thing to stop, delete, recreate and reinstall pins apps.

A reasonable selection have an issue stating :

Unable to find image 'lscr.io/linuxserver/radarr:latest' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: received unexpected HTTP status: 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable.
See 'docker run --help'.

Crashed again - took out dockers again - showing corrupted.  

Deleted docker, this time changed to directory as I am willing to try anything.

Now app store is not remembering important ones as abole to be re-installed.  want it as new.

Days like this you hate unraid.

I am back to normal now - and took the time to remove all previous apps never going to be used again, and pinning the ones I want so its tidy.

I did another scan on the syslog file (attached most recent), and I found in the logs a load - r8168.

Now this is also something I did in Jan about the time I went to 6.12.x as it said to do it in fix common problems - even thought I have never had a network issue.

I have removed that plugin now and rebooted.

syslog-192.168.1.7.log

Well - it may be early days, but after the reboot without that realtek plugin. I had clean logs after a few hours, so in attempt to 'break' the system, I started a parity check.  6 hours later, still cleans logs, so I started up all my containers, and even the cpu killing tdarr with an extra CPU thread configured in tdarr to try and stress out the CPU's to breaking point.  They have never seen this amount of activity before - and so far - clean logs, no lockups, no reboots :

image.png.abfb5f99e500528019234253376508d1.png

If I wake up to a healthy system, with a good parity check and no crashes/reboots, and a clean log, then I will be really pissed as there were no 'hardware issues' at all - with me having close to $500 of equipment sitting here that will be not needed.  And all seemingly related to this realtek driver!

Even the parity build is over 200 MB/sec instead of in the 180MB's range.

And the GPU conversions in tdarr are doing 650+ fps - before is was 20 ish on my one allocated cpu thread!!!!!

There is a load I have been missing since 2019 I guess.