Insane Builds - 36 drive capacity in a Lian Li cube!!!

LOL I'm stuck with Lame Frontier DSL at 3MB.

As anybody knows since Verizon sold out to them I'm luckly to get a 1MB through out the day. Then I received a brochure a few days ago saying are you looking for more speed how about another connection in your house? Oh sure why not bottle neck the connection even more so its even slower.

Man those people are seriously crazy when it comes to how much storage they have. I don't think I could ever fill those cabinets with what I have.

Thought you guys here might like the thread. Thats why I posted it.

What I cannot get my head round is Where do they get the money??? I'd be looking at a divorce if I spent that much on my PC!

One guy posted a pic of his newly aquired 30 x 2TB Deskstar drives, all retail boxed. Even if they were bought stateside [which I think is highly likely - Only the Yanks could get this fanatical about storage :-) ] That's over $3000 worth of disks!!!

Wouldnt fancy his Electric bill either.

Where would you squeeze another 6 drives into that Lian Li case to do a 42 drive build?????

What I cannot get my head round is Where do they get the money??? I'd be looking at a divorce if I spent that much on my PC!

One guy posted a pic of his newly aquired 30 x 2TB Deskstar drives, all retail boxed. Even if they were bought stateside [which I think is highly likely - Only the Yanks could get this fanatical about storage :-) ] That's over $3000 worth of disks!!!

Where would you squeeze another 6 drives into that Lian Li case to do a 42 drive build?????

A couple of big MPLS network sales coupled with some Cloud computing or data center sales and I would be happy to buy 30x3TB drives :P

Hell one of my co-workers just sold a HUGE MPLS network and threw in 4 full enclosed cabinets for colo in our data center @ 100mbps ports for basically nothing,  is likely to get paid about $100k on that one sale. Though he won't see the cash until it all installs.

That is a crap ton of storage for a home user, no doubt. It would probably make sense to host that thing in a colo location just to get the power off your personal home and with a 150 mbps connection... crap just stream :)

if you look at that guys personal pictures, he obviously works at datacenter/co-loc and has servers at both locations.

those of us that do work in these data centers tend to get server parts dirt cheap.. manytimes free or close to it.

otherwise we have to pay to  have the units removed.

if you look at that guys personal pictures, he obviously works at datacenter/co-loc and has servers at both locations.

those of us that do work in these data centers tend to get server parts dirt cheap.. manytimes free or close to it.

otherwise we have to pay to  have the units removed.

Very true... I love going to the data center and befriending the folks there as they think it's funny to have someone that is so obsessed about storage :)

I have a buddy that works for Cisco and he's got a whole bunch of gear at home and Cisco even pays for his electric bill, which is sweet!

I work for a Telecoms / IT company here in the UK (in sales) and what is really frustrating is how ridiculously over-regulated the UK is now. I recently learned that we were throwing out some 3 yr old DL380 (G4)'s, so I asked if I could get my hands on one and was told no! When I asked why, it wasn't so much their concerns about data security (and we all know how effective multi-pass delete programs are now) but the "risk" that something could happen to me or my house as a result of a potential fault in their OLD equipment.

I guess we have you boys stateside to thank for that - everyone is so damned scarred of getting sued these days they think twice before breaking wind! The UK has followed closely in Americas footsteps and become a "compensation culture"! Now wonder our car insurance has gone up so much in recent years. I remember 20 years ago when if you said "whiplash" people would look at yuou and say "Whats whiplash"?

Now I work for a company who'd rather [over]pay some 'certified' company to take their kit away (and probably refurb / resell it out into the market [unofficially] anyway than give it to their own hard working staff. Now thats srewed up if you ask me.

Same. we pay by the pound not the server to have them hauled them away..

they tried to sell them to employees a few times.

That was a failure, the employees either wanted support that we could not offer or in most cases, they ended up on ebay... it was also a ton of work and the accounting was a headache. they stopped that real fast.

we also wipe our drives, reuse them or sledge hammer them and recycle them at a metal recyclers.