Exclusive Mode Deactivating on Reboot w/NFS Sharing

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Is it expected behavior that a share which is wholly on a pool in exclusive mode, and has NFS sharing turned on after a reboot, would then lose exclusive mode after a subsequent reboot when NFS sharing is left enabled?

I was rebooting to enable exclusive mode on a share which recently had all of its data moved off the array to a pool and two other shares which were previously exclusive are now exclusive=no. They had NFS sharing on during the reboot but no data on the array.

If this is expected behavior, I can work around it by disabling NFS on every exclusive share for every array reboot, but if it is not expected, I'm wondering if this can be fixed in the future?

Thank you.

Edited by adamfl
4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Do you mean global NFS sharing, or enabled for that share?

For that share specifically. It was globally left on and has been on for other array based shares throughout, so only share specific settings were changed.

The help text for Exclusive shares says the conditions are:

The Primary storage for a share is set to a pool.

The Secondary storage for a share is set to none.

The share exists on a single volume.

The share is not exported over NFS.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Not sure I'm following, if you enable NFS sharing for a share, exclusive mode for that share will stop working, or am I misunderstanding?

I am able to successfully export an exclusive share over NFS (v3 only) when sharing is not enabled upon array start, and then I subsequently enable NFS sharing on that share. It works fine. My fstab record on my client specifies NFS v4.2, but it then keeps trying lower versions until it successfully mounts with NFS v3.

The issue is that shares do not retain that exclusive status if I do not remove sharing prior to restarting the array, which is annoying, but not insurmountable.

@itimpi This appears to be the conditions required for the share to be mounted as such, but the NFS exported portion doesn't seem to matter post array start.

image.thumb.png.4c92644eed646facb245bb3e063f1fd6.png

image.thumb.png.1633d74aed2f1aaedc305ad7e0df178f.png

Edited by adamfl
1 minute ago, adamfl said:

This appears to be the conditions required for the share to be mounted as such, but the NFS exported portion doesn't seem to matter post array start.

Maybe, but I think that is accidental.    

Since the conditions apply when starting the array I am not surprised they do not survive a reboot.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

Maybe, but I think that is accidental.    

Since the conditions apply when starting the array I am not surprised they do not survive a reboot.

This logically makes sense. I'm not sure I understand *why* this is a limitation, then? There is no problem exporting a symlinked location via NFS?

• Solution
8 minutes ago, adamfl said:

This logically makes sense. I'm not sure I understand *why* this is a limitation, then? There is no problem exporting a symlinked location via NFS?

You would need to add Limetech.   I assume there is a good reason as otherwise I do not see why they would have specified that. limitation.