Hide VMS tab

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

I am using Unraid 6.12.8 and don't plan to use VMs. Is it possible to hide the VMS tab from the horizontal header menu? It adds clutter, and it's right between the DOCKER and APPS tabs, so sometimes I click it accidentally. When no VMs are present, it seems that the VM Manager settings are empty, so I don't see a way to disable them. Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 10.20.49 AM.png

And it's gone... thanks! I compared the contents of /boot/domain.cfg before deleting and after rebooting. It looks like the only difference is that SERVICE changed from "enable" to "disable", as you can see below. I did use one VM temporarily until I could replace it with Docker containers, so I'm guessing that things got stuck when I deleted it. Maybe I needed to disable VM Manager beforehand to avoid this?

Before:

SERVICE="enable"
IMAGE_FILE="/mnt/user/system/libvirt/libvirt.img"
IMAGE_SIZE="1"
DEBUG="no"
DOMAINDIR="/mnt/user/domains/"
MEDIADIR="/mnt/user/isos/"
VIRTIOISO=""
BRNAME="br0"
VMSTORAGEMODE="auto"

After:

SERVICE="disable"
IMAGE_SIZE="1"
DEBUG="no"
VIRTIOISO=""
BRNAME="br0"
VMSTORAGEMODE="auto"
1 hour ago, Enixile said:

And it's gone... thanks! I compared the contents of /boot/domain.cfg before deleting and after rebooting. It looks like the only difference is that SERVICE changed from "enable" to "disable", as you can see below. I did use one VM temporarily until I could replace it with Docker containers, so I'm guessing that things got stuck when I deleted it. Maybe I needed to disable VM Manager beforehand to avoid this?

Before:

SERVICE="enable"
IMAGE_SIZE="1"
DEBUG="no"
VIRTIOISO=""
BRNAME="br0"
VMSTORAGEMODE="auto"

After:

SERVICE="disable"
IMAGE_SIZE="1"
DEBUG="no"
VIRTIOISO=""
BRNAME="br0"
VMSTORAGEMODE="auto"

Service needs to be disabled to stop libvirt and remote the VMS opions.

1 hour ago, Enixile said:

Was there a way to disable the service from the UI?

Change in settings from yes to know on the VM Manager settings.

image.png

if status is running still this means that Libvirt is still running,  But will sort after next reboot.

Or you can just change to Yes and then no and apply.

Posted (edited)

That option wasn't available to me. My original post has a screenshot of my VM Manager settings, which were empty. It remained that way regardless whether the array was stopped or started and through reboots.

Actually, the settings are still empty. Do I have some other issue?

Edited by Enixile
Added detail

Nothing that I can think of. I tried different browsers and devices. I also tried booting Unraid in safe mode with the same result. I noticed that domain.cfg references br0, and I had bridging disabled, so I tried re-enabling that and rebooting, but no luck. If I re-enable the service, I am able to create a VM, but I still can't seem to get VM Manager settings to display.

I appreciate you taking a look. After re-enabling bridging and the br0 network didn't seem to help, I reverted to my original network configuration, so that's why you don't see it now. I could try enabling it again with the plugin is removed. I'm mostly confused by what could prevent a settings page from being displayed. What could it be trying and failing to do, and where would that be logged? It's not critical since I'm not using any VMs at the moment, but it makes me wonder what else might be wrong. I searched quite a bit and couldn't find anyone else having this exact issue. I had a Home Assistant VM running before, but I can't recall whether I ever used the VM Manager settings page. I might put a clean trial of Unraid on another USB drive to see if it's displayed then. If it's not, then I could rule out anything in my configuration such as other settings, plugins, etc.