Unmountable Partition Layout after raid size increase

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Version Unraid 6.12.8

Plugins: Appata Backup, CA Auto Update Applications, Community Applications, Compose.manager, Fix Common problems, Unassigned Devices, Unraid Connect, CA Cleanup Appdata, Dynamix Auto Fan Control, Dynamix File Intergrity, Dynamix File Manager, Dynamix Schedules,  Dynamix System Information, Dynamix System Statistics, Dynamics System Temperature, Unassigned Devices Plus, User Scripts.

Hardware:

Dell r515 with a perc h700 raid controller

Raid is not controlled by Unraid, but by Dell's raid controller.

I purchased two 12 TB HDs to replace two older drives in my raid array. It was a mix of 3 12tbs,  2 3tbs, and 7 4tbs. I replaced the two 3 tbs fine with the 12TBs. The raid rebuilt successfully and I was able to browse shares, access dockers, etc.  I was hoping that the two new drives would increase the available size by a little, but it didn't. I increased the available size in my raid from 27tb to 28tb via Dell OpenManage (A docker) so I would be able to move stuff around and I guess I inadvertently erased the partition information when I did that.

Currently my array devices says its: Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout, and file system says Auto.

I remember it being XFS before. It does not give me the option to run the GUI version of xfs_repair when I put the raid in maintenance mode.

Partition format is unknown.

I'd be eternally grateful if anyone could help, I've tried looking up on my own but so far no dice and I really think I'm out of luck here and definitely out of depth of my experience.

diagnostics-20240317-2325.zip

4 hours ago, mizu said:

Raid is not controlled by Unraid, but by Dell's raid controller.

This is a very bad idea.

Unraid requires a specific partition layout, since you extended the array and not the partition it's complaining, it *may* work if you create a new partition using the new capacity, but I have no way of testing.

Posted (edited)

Initially I tried to create it in unraid, but it's a been awhile back and I'm not sure why it didn't work. It was definitely what I wanted to do in the beginning.  I'll try making a new partition -- how would i do that if it's unmountable? It just giving me the prompt here to format.

Edited by mizu

The backup GPT table is not on the end of the device.
Disk /dev/sdb: 29.1 TiB, 32000727449600 bytes, 62501420800 sectors
Disk model: PERC H700       
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 7A956426-4D75-401B-9E9F-BEA74F9FB95A

Device     Start         End     Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdb1     64 58594426846 58594426783 27.3T Linux filesystem

• Solution

You can try this, not sure it will work, but it might, and if it doesn't, it won't cause anymore harm, with the array stopped, and assuming disk1 is still sdb, type:

sgdisk -o -a 8 -n 1:32K:0 /dev/sdb

The restart the array.

• Like 1

/dev/sda1: LABEL_FATBOOT="UNRAID" LABEL="UNRAID" UUID="272C-EBE2" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/loop1: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="cfe903e2-f257-4447-827c-a8607ee5cc5a" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="xfs" PARTUUID="6a7b72cb-2e63-49e4-a3ce-4fbc810f6ec6"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/md1p1: UUID="cfe903e2-f257-4447-827c-a8607ee5cc5a" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="xfs"

The drive and shares are back. Thank you so, so very much and thank you for being patient with me. I owe you like a case of beer or something.

Will try to rebuild as an unraid software raid as soon as I can.

It is mounted with Unraid now, showing a fs of xfs and the shares already shared out. The data looks like it's all there, I've been going through it, slowly. I have not rebooted yet. I was going to copy some files to an external before I do that.