Can only access web GUI and SMB from first PC

Go to solution Solved by Jimijangles,

I recently set up Unraid for the first time, version 6.12.8, and I thought I did everything correctly since my main PC has full visibility and access to the server. I can successfully ping from other computers but the web GUI only ever loads on my main PC and the same for the SMB share. My main PC is the first one I connected to anything from so I'm not sure if that somehow matters. I have tried accessing via a couple laptops, another desktop and my phone all to no avail. IP and server name both allow connection from my main PC. For what it's worth, these are all Windows machines and Android phones.

I've debated starting fresh since I don't have much on here yet but would really like to know the root problem either way. I've tried a few reboots, uninstalled the Unraid Connect app, different DNS, reboot modem and router. The only dockers I have are the standard Plex suite with some rr apps and DelugeVPN. But even if I stop everything I still can't get to the server from any other device here.

My Linux knowledge is near zero so I haven't attempted anything advanced in that regard. I'm sure I'm missing some pertinent information here but the diagnostics file is attached.

Any guidance is much appreciated. 

guac-diagnostics-20240320-0449.zip

the fact that you have even one machine able to get up the GUI shows the server must be functioning as expected at that point.

Do you know if the other machines can ping the IP address of the server?    This would at least allow you to determine if you have a networking level issue.   You definitely want at this stage to be trying via IP address to avoid any name resolution issues.

The only other thing I can think of is whether you have ad-blockers installed on the problem machines as the Unraid server typically needs to be white-lusted in them.

Windows will not allow a SMB connection to a server unless you have a Login credential on that server.   (I checked your diagnostics and found that all of your shares are 'Public'.  This would imply that you could be trying to access your server using SMB using 'Guest'-- or 'anonymous' -- login privileges.)   

This does not rule out network setup issues as suggested by @itimpi.   So follow up on that first. 

2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Windows will not allow a SMB connection to a server unless you have a Login credential on that server.   (I checked your diagnostics and found that all of your shares are 'Public'.  This would imply that you could be trying to access your server using SMB using 'Guest'-- or 'anonymous' -- login privileges.)   

This does not rule out network setup issues as suggested by @itimpi.   So follow up on that first. 

Since it was mentioned that the webGUI could not be accessed from the other machines I thought this needed resolving first.

• Upvote 1

I can ping the server from other computers without issue. I have adblockers on the computer than can currently access it, and it also works from multiple browsers. I turned off adblockers on another machine to try again and it seems to make no difference here. 

And yes I would much rather resolve the GUI issue first. I thought I had set up some shares requiring credentials but maybe I messed that up. I suppose I'll worry about that later.

Login from the PC that will connected to you Unraid server.  Now go to    SETTINGS    >>>   Management Access 

Now look for the section entitled   "Local access URLs:"     Try the address suggestions listed there.

If that does not work,  get a screenshot of the error message that the browser is giving you.  And tell what browser you used in the attempt. 

On this Windows computer, go to   Start   >>>  (1) Settings  >>> (2)  Network & internet    and click on (3)  Ethernet  

image.thumb.png.37757eee94757e34b2f4e39841fa62e5.png

Now look for the IPv4  address and tell us what it is in your next post.    Your server IP-address is 192.168.50.80   This is not an IP address which would normally be expected but it not a issue if everything else is based around it.

Edited by Frank1940

Alright...another update here before I try to get some sleep before my night shift.

I pulled out a few more devices to try to connect with. Still all Windows and Android. I have an Intel NUC that can get to everything from both wired and wireless connection. A different laptop sees everything fine. Working and non-working devices are a mix of Windows 10 and 11 between both sides so the OS overall isn't the problem. And my father's phone can get to the GUI. But my phone, the other desktop PC here and my gaming laptop all cannot find the GUI/SMB.

I'm not sure where to begin looking for differences here that would affect something like this. It seems like this extends beyond Unraid specific support but I don't know where to look. I greatly appreciate your guys' attention to my problem so far.

Log into your router.  Look at settings of a device that you can access the Unraid server and one that you can not.  I am suspecting that your problem has something to do with how your router is configured. 

One thing that I saw was  in the ifconfig.txt file (in your diagnostics file) was this line:

br0              UP             192.168.50.80/25 metric 1

Using Google, that  "/25" is a mask that defines the number of available IP addresses (126 addresses)  that your router will access to on your LAN.   For most home routers, it is normally  '/24'  (256 addresses) which is a much large range of addresses.  (Hoping someone else--- with more networking setup experience --can jump in at this point...)

3 hours ago, Jimijangles said:

My router address is 192.168.50.1 and I can get to that from anywhere on the network.

Understand that your LAN access and your Internet access are handled differently by routers.  The rules of access are different for each one.  Routers for Home use generally have very simple simple (and similiar) set of rules when compared to their big brothers intended for medium to large business usage. I am not sure where your router fits in.  The '50' in the base address is one that I have never seen before.   (Normally, most home routers have an address like this:  192.168.X.YYY  where X is generally between 0 and 9.)  But it is within an allowable address space for this type of router...

• Solution
4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Log into your router.  Look at settings of a device that you can access the Unraid server and one that you can not.  I am suspecting that your problem has something to do with how your router is configured. 

One thing that I saw was  in the ifconfig.txt file (in your diagnostics file) was this line:

br0              UP             192.168.50.80/25 metric 1

Using Google, that  "/25" is a mask that defines the number of available IP addresses (126 addresses)  that your router will access to on your LAN.   For most home routers, it is normally  '/24'  (256 addresses) which is a much large range of addresses.  (Hoping someone else--- with more networking setup experience --can jump in at this point...)

This was a huge help actually. After you brought this up, I remembered seeing a setting for it within Unraid's network settings. Also before changing anything I checked the IPs of the devices that were working and they were all under .126. I found the setting in Unraid again and changed it. See in the screenshot, I changed it from /25 to /24 and now all the other devices work as well, which have IPs above .126.

image.thumb.png.7629494bd6f4c61a84616083d8139464.png 

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Understand that your LAN access and your Internet access are handled differently by routers.  The rules of access are different for each one.  Routers for Home use generally have very simple simple (and similiar) set of rules when compared to their big brothers intended for medium to large business usage. I am not sure where your router fits in.  The '50' in the base address is one that I have never seen before.   (Normally, most home routers have an address like this:  192.168.X.YYY  where X is generally between 0 and 9.)  But it is within an allowable address space for this type of router...

Interesting. And yeah other routers I have used were either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 but my current Asus router and the Asus router before this were 192.168.50.1 by default.

Thank you both @itimpi and @Frank1940 for your time and assistance.