Issues with DNS & AdGuard Home

I'm seeing an issue with my Unraid & ADH setup.

My setup is that Unraid is on 192.168.1.10.

ADH is set to BR0 with an IP manually assigned of 192.168.1.2

My router (OpnSense, separate box) uses 192.168.1.2 as the DNS, and I have verified that my clients are picking that change up. AdGuard is working for most clients.

Unraid sees the DNS is 192.168.1.2, but doesn't want to query it for DNS at all ever. I can see from the ADH logs that Unraid has NEVER hit it with a DNS query. So loading apps fails, and I've tried to download the files via SSH as well:

Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘raw.githubusercontent.com’

To resolve this, I set DNS to manual in Unraid, set my DNS servers to:

Now it does correctly resolve URLs.

What am I missing? Can I not point Unraid to ADH that's hosted as a docker container on Unraid itself? Do I need ADH to be on the same IP address as Unraid?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, rampantandroid said:

What am I missing? Can I not point Unraid to ADH that's hosted as a docker container on Unraid itself?

No, it won't work stable, more or less random.

This is normal because dockers and vms are started last on UNRAID (and stopped if you stop the array). You cannot use "vital" services that are needed at boot time already for this. DNS belongs to this.

You already found out, you can use the Dockers for OTHERs, but not for UNRAID itself

Configure 8.8.8.8 and so on on UNRAID, drop the 192.168.1.2 and you are fine.

(and it wont hurt too, UNRAID does use only certain external addresses, nobody I know uses the builtin firefox to surf the net freely.)

13 hours ago, MAM59 said:

No, it won't work stable, more or less random.

This is normal because dockers and vms are started last on UNRAID (and stopped if you stop the array). You cannot use "vital" services that are needed at boot time already for this. DNS belongs to this.

You already found out, you can use the Dockers for OTHERs, but not for UNRAID itself

Configure 8.8.8.8 and so on on UNRAID, drop the 192.168.1.2 and you are fine.

(and it wont hurt too, UNRAID does use only certain external addresses, nobody I know uses the builtin firefox to surf the net freely.)

So I figured that startup might have been one possible issue, however the issue persists once everything is booted. Is Unraid seeing that the DNS server isn't working and so giving up on DNS entirely? Would restarting DHCPCD help at all?

I'm wondering if I need to revisit running ADH on my OpnSense router.

7 hours ago, JonathanM said:

And if you (OP or anyone reading this) are using GUI mode as a general use desktop you need to stop immediately. Set up a VM for daily driver use.

No sure what you mean here - the issue that I face in the GUI is looking for apps. Beyond that, I'm using the GUI as controls for Unraid and nothing else.

2 minutes ago, rampantandroid said:

I'm using the GUI as controls for Unraid and nothing else.

That is what it is meant for. No outside browsing. Period. No browsing the web looking for apps or support or documentation for apps.

If you want to browse the web casually, for whatever reason, you need to be doing it on another machine. That other machine can be a VM hosted on Unraid if you wish, which you can access using the GUI browser.

The built in GUI browser is not regularly updated, and can't really be properly secured.

2 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

That is what it is meant for. No outside browsing. Period. No browsing the web looking for apps or support or documentation for apps.

If you want to browse the web casually, for whatever reason, you need to be doing it on another machine. That other machine can be a VM hosted on Unraid if you wish, which you can access using the GUI browser.

The built in GUI browser is not regularly updated, and can't really be properly secured.

I'm using the GUI to look for apps that are listed to install in the apps tab of the GUI. Are you saying this isn't supported? If so, wild - and then I regret buying a license because I expected the GUI to be actually maintained. Frankly if this is what you mean then I want a refund.

If this isn't what you mean...why are you yelling at me? I'm not browsing the internet at all. I DO have a VM running in there that can do that and all. There are legitimate reasons that Unraid needs DNS to work, least of which is searching for updates for the OS itself and apps.

1 minute ago, rampantandroid said:

I'm using the GUI to look for apps that are listed to install in the apps tab of the GUI. Are you saying this isn't supported?

The apps tab is fine, but some of the links in the app descriptions and such open external web pages, which aren't directly under Unraid's control like the GUI.

3 minutes ago, rampantandroid said:

why are you yelling at me?

I'm not yelling, just trying to get across the idea that the built in GUI browser isn't meant for anything beyond the Unraid GUI itself.

5 minutes ago, rampantandroid said:

There are legitimate reasons that Unraid needs DNS to work

Yes, which is why you need to only use addresses that are reachable when the array is stopped.

LOL, calm down folks :-)))

@JonathanM just says "thou shalt not use the gui for anything else but administration of unraid" and @rampantandroid just wants to install an update apps.

You can both be pleased.

Just use static DNS servers like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 for UNRAID and you are done. It will find new apps and updates and it does not need any filtering because nobody requests things outside of the update sources.