We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

So I messed something up trying to move data off a failing drive and remove the drive from my array huh?

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

47 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If you removed an array drive parity should be resynced instead, a parity check will be much slower due to all the errors.

I thought I did - I followed all the steps on the walkthrough and spaceinvaderone's video (which are the same steps).

This is my monthly parity check.  I didnt run it manually after I shrunk my array.

7 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Apparently the drive to be removed was not fully cleared.

Generally writing all zeroes to a drive takes many many hours, even days sometimes. How long did that step take for you?

I used krusader and the built in file manager (found that this froze a few times).

Everything was clear off the drive (it was 3tb) But it took maybe 24hours.  

The drive in question had pending sectors and it was my slowest WD Green 5400 drive so I wanted to take it out anyway.

So I removed it and I'm currently doing a preclear on it rn but it is running SO SLOW. screenshot below.  I figure Im just going to remove it completely and us it for an extra- extra redundancy for pics/home vids.

image.png.0893d36ad45542e90dce4a7d0caa2e86.png

• Solution
11 minutes ago, Ace319 said:

Everything was clear off the drive

Deleting files doesn't clear the drive. The entire drive must have zeroes written to it, so when it is removed the parity is still valid. Preclear DOES write all zeroes, but you can't preclear a drive while it's in the array. There is a script that does clear the drive while it's in the array so you can remove it without recalculating parity, but the script doesn't work well for many people, it's very slow.

I think you need to stop the array, unassign the parity drive, start the array so it forgets it, stop the array, assign the parity drive so it will recalculate from scratch.

A clear drive in Unraid terms is all zeroes. A drive with all the files deleted, or formatted, even if it shows an empty filesystem still has a whole mess of ones and zeroes on it, some from the deleted files, some from the filesystem itself.

5 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Deleting files doesn't clear the drive. The entire drive must have zeroes written to it, so when it is removed the parity is still valid. Preclear DOES write all zeroes, but you can't preclear a drive while it's in the array. There is a script that does clear the drive while it's in the array so you can remove it without recalculating parity, but the script doesn't work well for many people, it's very slow.

I think you need to stop the array, unassign the parity drive, start the array so it forgets it, stop the array, assign the parity drive so it will recalculate from scratch.

A clear drive in Unraid terms is all zeroes. A drive with all the files deleted, or formatted, even if it shows an empty filesystem still has a whole mess of ones and zeroes on it, some from the deleted files, some from the filesystem itself.

Yeah I used the script... The script finished like like 10 minutes. So youre saying that the script did nothing haha.

Understood. And yes the drive is removed and parity check is running/fixing. so everything should be good when it finishes

21 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Are you sure you selected the box to "Write corrections to parity"?

I followed the guide as well as the video before doing anything.  But Im sure I screwed up somewhere because all these corrections shouldnt be happening. 

But like you said it sounds like the user script didnt actually do anything for that drive before I removed it.