Unraid 6.9.2 and Disk Disabled, contents emulated

Go to solution Solved by Xgamer911,

I have never had this error before and I am not sure what to do about it.

I have 11 disks in total and disk 2 is now "device is disabled, contents emulated"

image.thumb.png.28eb4082ae2b3bc52b8e389f8d4f29d1.png

All of these drives are running on a HP P200 G3 SAS. The HDD shows up there just fine.

image.png.bd638dc01e6076c365d3382425dd7b6e.png

I have tried to manually mount the /dev/sdj to /mnt/tmp just to see if I can see what is going on, but the command hangs.

I have found in the syslog that corruption is detected. It says I should unmount and run xfs_repair. This is where I am confused, because the disk says it is unmountable. Should I:

1) Just run a Check on the Main page

2) Goto command line and use "xfs_repair /dev/sdj". Are there any other options I should use?

3) Stop the array and start in maintenance mode, the run a Check on the Main page

4) Stop the array and use "xfs_repair /dev/sdj". Are there any other options I should use?

I have also attach a diagnostic.zip as well to help. I am not sure what I need to do to repair this disk.

tower-diagnostics-20240415-2247.zip

Handling of unmountable disks is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

Handling of unmountable disks is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

I started the arrary in maintenance mode like the documentation said and ran a check. Under "Running the Test using the webGui" and step 8 it says to come back to forums. So here is the output attached. 

I am unsure about the output however. Is the HDD dead, dieing, or should I continue the "Repairing a File System" section?

HDD Check.txt

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Run it again without -n, and if it asks for -L use it.

Ok I ran it without the -n and got a whole mess of output. (attached - HDD Check (without -n).txt)

I went back and stopped the array and started again normally. This time disk 2 mounted, but is still disabled. I stopped the array and restarted in maintenance mode again and ran the check again. This time the output looked normal. (Attached - HDD Check 2.txt)

The both outputs didn't say to use the -L option so I didn't, since the help menu said "Do this as a last resort".

I don't know what my next step is to get this Disk 2 back into enabled status and not have the contents emulated. 

HDD Check (without -n).txt HDD Check 2.txt

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Ok so I figured it out eventually and I am posting a follow-up with my solution to help anyone else that might be having the same issue.

Edit from Itimpi below:

It is not clear from your description but steps 1 to 5 were running against the 'emulated' drive and would be fixing an 'unmountable' status.  Steps 6 to 12 are rebuilding the emulated drive contents back onto a physical drive to clear the 'disabled' status.

1. Stopped the array
  2. Started the array in maintenance mode, went to disk and ran a check.
  3. Once check was done, I ran the same check but this time with no -n.
  4. Stop the array in maintenance mode
  5. Started the array normally
  6. Stop the array
  7. Remove the disk from the array
  8. Start the array normally so the disk will be registered as missing
  9. Stop the array
  10. Reassign the disk
  11. Start the array to begin rebuilding
  12. Wait for the rebuild to complete
Edited by Xgamer911
Adding more information to clarify
22 hours ago, Xgamer911 said:

Ok so I figured it out eventually and I am posting a follow-up with my solution to help anyone else that might be having the same issue.

It is not clear from your description but steps 1 to 5 were running against the 'emulated' drive and would be fixing an 'unmountable' status.   Steps 6 to 12 are rebuilding the emulated drive contents back onto a physical drive to clear the 'disabled' status.