A modern way to mount Reiser FS drives in Win7?

I've used http://yareg.akucom.de/ to read data from ReiserFS drives quite recently using Win7 x64.

I finally figured out that you have to run both .exe files as administrator for this to work. Transfer speed is very poor, and there's hardly any feedback during the copying process... but it works! Lord knows how long !4TB of data will take to transfer. GOing to try the riplinux from a USB drive next.

Can I ask what you're trying to restore and why?

IE just a file or a few or the whole hard drive contents.

The reason I mention is I had a recent issue with a drive and could not get it to get past a particular set of sectors.

I had to copy the drive with ddrescue in forward, then reverse mode.

In the end, I was able to copy the whole drive (after 2 days) except for the one bad sector.

see here for more information.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=16734.msg153098#msg153098

I've used http://yareg.akucom.de/ to read data from ReiserFS drives quite recently using Win7 x64.

I finally figured out that you have to run both .exe files as administrator for this to work. Transfer speed is very poor, and there's hardly any feedback during the copying process... but it works! Lord knows how long !4TB of data will take to transfer. GOing to try the riplinux from a USB drive next.

I just used to use it to check drives removed from an existing unRAID array didn't have any data I needed before erasing them. I have copied small amounts of data using the app, but not a lot. I'd definitely mount the drive on an unRAID server to copy more. You could always mount the drive outside the array?

The reason I mention is I had a recent issue with a drive and could not get it to get past a particular set of sectors.

In the end, I was able to copy the whole drive (after 2 days) except for the one bad sector.

Thanks for the suggestion - it does sound very much like what I need. I suddenly had three failed drives, and the disk 1 seems a lot like the problem you describe- I couldn't even do a reiserfs check dues to 'a hardware error'.

Thanks for the suggestion - it does sound very much like what I need. I suddenly had three failed drives, and the disk 1 seems a lot like the problem you describe- I couldn't even do a reiserfs check dues to 'a hardware error'.

My problem exactly. I used ddrescue in log mode to copy the drive forward. When the copy failed, i rebooted. remounted the flash with the log, reran the command. It looked at the log and continued from the last point.

I kept doing this as it failed all the way to the end.

At the end, I did a "retry" mode in "reverse" and it actually recovered everything except 1 bad sector.

So out of 1 tb I lost 4k.

On the copied disk, I was able to do a reiserfsck with success. There were no further corruptions.

What I did not have to double check things was an MD5sum of the whole file tree.

So that's what I'm working on these days.

A tool to create a "locate" like database and also store MD5sums inside the the database for verification.

The whole md.c driver parity bug has me very concerned about integrity of my data. especially when some drives have data that is over 10 years old.

I think I'll have to do the same on at least two different drives. :(

How long did it take in total for the 1 TB?

I have two 1.5 TB drives and a 2 TB drive to 'fix'

If I get this correctly, it should try to make an exact (bit for bit) copy of the drive.

If this works for both drives with a similar amount of success as you've had, do you think it's worth trying to add these back to my array and try to rebuild the third drive from parity?

Or perhaps try this method on all three drives?

Next question: I'm not all that Linux savvy; are there fairly easy to follow instructions included in the package riplinux package?

Thanks for sharing your solution.

the DDRESCUE is the worst case last ditch effort to copy drive data.

If you do a smart test and it fails, the drive hangs or you cannot get past the sector, then ddrescue is the only choice.

I would not attempt to rebuild drives with unRAID after doing the ddrescue thing.

I would just do the ddrescue on all three drives to other spare drives, then validate the data, then put it back in the array.

Although it's kinda odd that 3 drives would be so corrupt with bad sectors that you cannot access them.

With mine it was one drive and 1 really bad sector with poor firmware on how it handled the bad sector (Seagate SD15).

Since I could not do a reiserfsck --check or --fixfixable, I did the ddrescue to another drive.

After that the reiserfsck worked like a charm.

To use the riplinux effectively, you will need a formatted flash key to house the intermediary log file created by ddrescue.

After you boot riplinux, mount the flashkey somewhere, perhaps on mnt.

then do all your work there.

Unfortunately I cannot find the scripts and command lines I used to do this operation. but it was all found via google.

I do not have definitive directions and I read so many pages and made a bunch of attempts.

you'll need to get yer google on and read all the pages you can find on ddrescue and examples.

I can say that you need a log,

Run one scan forward.

if it fails. reboot, redo the scan with the same log, it will pick up from the point of failure.

After it completes,  which took about 2 days, redo the scan in reverse with "retry 3" option.

That tells it to retry all the failed sectors up to 3 times starting from the end of the drive.

This is how I recovered a almost a gig of data that was considered lost.

It ended up being only 1 sector that was not recoverable.

incidentally, I compiled dd rescue for unRAID, so you could just download that, boot your unraid flash key.

I also posted instructions for dropping riplinux on your flashkey as an alternate to unraid.

Thanks weebotech. I think I'll start with this:

incidentally, I compiled dd rescue for unRAID, so you could just download that, boot your unraid flash key.

I also posted instructions for dropping riplinux on your flashkey as an alternate to unraid.

Things were kind of hampered by my server being full with 20 drives and no hot-swap bays. I've removed the bad drives and will now add them to the server and see what's going on.

Time to google tonight!