Hi guys.

I have searched the forums for DLNA and while there is info out there i am confused if its still current.

I have just purchased a Samsung 51" 1080p 3D Plasma which comes with DLNA. Perfect. I have all my movies on my unRaid box in various formats, MKV, VOB, AVI etc. I would like to connect my Samsung to unRaid. From what i have seen from searching there are a few options. minidlna , ps3mediacenter etc.

However the forum notes said that minidlna was under unMenu but i cant see it in the packages which makes me think some of the posts are not vaild anymore.

So does anyone have any up to date information. I would really like my unRaid to be my DLNA server. What are the best options out there for me to look at and try?

Many thanks in advance

I have a similar TV and I'll say that the  interface and DNLA was pretty sad.

I hooked an HTPC with a 3D capable video card up to it. I was so much happier.

I recently added a network capable DVD player to my den.  It has the capability to scan the LAN for DLNA sources.

As it turns out, my XBMC htpc has a built in DLNA server.  I was able to access my unRAID movies share through it and play movie files from the network dvd player.

So, even if your unRAID does not have a DLNA server installed/configured, it might be possible you already have a DLNA server on your LAN if you are using the linux version of XBMC.

install plex on your unraid if he has the processor power and install plex client on your samsung tv

see this forum thread to see if your tv is supported and how to install it

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/forum/89-samsung-smart-hub/

only drawback so far is that plex doesn't play video_ts for the moment

i am converting all my "mostly" Thai movies with makemkv to solve the issue

I have a similar TV and I'll say that the  interface and DNLA was pretty sad.

I hooked an HTPC with a 3D capable video card up to it. I was so much happier.

I recently added a network capable DVD player to my den.  It has the capability to scan the LAN for DLNA sources.

As it turns out, my XBMC htpc has a built in DLNA server.   I was able to access my unRAID movies share through it and play movie files from the network dvd player.

So, even if your unRAID does not have a DLNA server installed/configured, it might be possible you already have a DLNA server on your LAN if you are using the linux version of XBMC.

I have tried that in the past. I had noticed that both the  DNLA and the  UPNP content was down sampled quite a bit. Some 1080P stuff looked to be SD.

Also as i  recall, it did not support 3D content. perhaps it has gotten better and worth a look again.

Unmenu Version 1.4 Revision: 223 installed (might a version or 2 newer) on unRaid 4.5.6.

I have a similar issue, I currently use 1 x WD TV live and Briteview 5005 to distribute media (mainly TV) using Samba shared out on UnRAID, all works without issue.

A couple of days ago I purchased a 46" Sony LCD TV (no network features) and a Panasonic Blu-Ray player DMP-BDT210 with wireless networking built-in, my thinking being that I would use the Blu-Ray player to stream content from unRAID, unfortunately it looks  as if the Blu-Ray player only looks for DLNA server, and of course by unRAID does not have this as of yet.

Looking on the forums I have a better understanding of what I need or have to do but I'm hoping you guys can provide advice, and if I'm on the right track.

Lots of useful info here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12435.0  - thanks to Bagpus.

• Install miniDLNA (a long with conf file I've seen posted on these forums) on my unRAID - will this work with my version of unRAID? I do not need transcoding
  • Will it work with my version of Unmenu?
  • As I understand it, it is best to install this on a cache drive? I currently have no cache drive so I will have to do this
  • I believe the custom package/conf of minDLAN posted here, also does some trickery to fool the Sony into playing mkv files? Great if it does

I was aware that the Panansonic may only use DLNA  and that the Sony TV didn't play with mkv files, so none of this is surprise and expected I may have some work to do, but if it doesn't work out I can always purchase another WDTV live, but I would liek to make the most of my existing hardware if I can.

I understand I have to change the following in minidlna-unmenu-package.conf for it to work:

a) The lastest release of minDLNA

b) If using the cache drive

From

PACKAGE_URL http://some.url.org.uk/files/minidlna-1.0.19-i486-2.tgz

To

#PACKAGE_URL http://some.url.org.uk/files/minidlna-1.0.19-i486-2.tgz  --- is safe to comment out?

From

PACKAGE_FILE minidlna-1.0.19-i486-2.tgz

To

PACKAGE_FILE minidlna-1.0.22-i486-1.tgz  --- the lastest release

From

PACKAGE_VERSION_STRING 1.0.19

To

PACKAGE_VERSION_STRING 1.0.22 --- the lastest release

From

PACKAGE_VARIABLE Install Location||vINSTALL_LOCATION=/boot/custom/minidlna/

To

PACKAGE_VARIABLE Install Location||vINSTALL_LOCATION=/mnt/cache/custom/minidlna/  --- assuming I using a cache drive