Folder on a Pool Device is coming up as shared folder under /mnt/user (SOLVED)

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have an array of 3 Disks + Parity, a NMVE as Cache and an 8TB HDD under pool device for a local backup. Having rsync with source of /mnt/user/ and /mnt/backup_hdd as target. The rsync runs fine and creates a new folder under /mnt/backup_hdd.

So far so good - the folder created by rsync appears under the user shares and is therefore now also part of /mnt/user - which would result in an endless loop and doesn't make sense.

I didn't checked that before I run rsync but seams to be a common behavior - each folder I create under /mnt/backup_hdd is automatically added to the shared folders

Is there a way to prevent this behavior? My array is running a parity check and therefore I can't test if the option Enable user share assignment within the backup_hdd setting would do the trick. Did anyone know?

Edited by wawibu
  • Solution

Normally if you have a share of a given name then all top level folders of that name on any pool or array drive are combined to give a single unified view under /mnt/user.   Doing an rsync between a user share (anything under /mnt/user) and a drive share (which is what /mnt/backup_hdd is) can easily lead to data loss unless you are very careful and know what you are doing.

Have you read the section of the online documentation that discusses User Shares and how they are implemented?

I adjusted the rsync script in a way to include and exclude specific folders. Makes it also more reliable on what gets backup.

Was just surprised to see that a folder created on a pool device automatically poping up under shared folders. Once you know, it makes complete sense and provides a simplicity to /mnt/user

Thanks

• wawibu changed the title to Folder on a Pool Device is coming up as shared folder under /mnt/user (SOLVED)