SanDisk USB failed, how do I find which disk is my parity disk?

Posted (edited)

I tried 2 separate computers and neither of them detect my SanDisk USB flash drive, looks like the thing is dead-dead.  So I got a temporary flash drive for now and loaded up a fresh copy of unraid on it.  When i log into the web ui, its asking me to assign my disks, but i'm not sure which exact drive is my parity disk.  

I tried to mount one them with this command but it didn't work

# mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdn /tmp/sdn
mount: /tmp/sdn: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdn, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

Any tips to make sure I pick the correct parity drive?

Do i need my data drives to be in the exact same order? I would need this info also, would it be in a backup somewhere?

Edited by krodami

got it working

# mount /dev/sdn1 /tmp/sdn

So this is what i get from my parity drive

# mount /dev/sdr1 /tmp/sdr
mount: /tmp/sdr: mount(2) system call failed: Structure needs cleaning.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

So the second question is do i just assign the rest of my disks? Is there a way to avoid erasing and rebuilding my parity drive?

1 hour ago, krodami said:

Do i need my data drives to be in the exact same order?

Not as long as the parity disk(s) are correctly assigned, from what I gather.

The last time I had to replace a flash drive I took the opportunity to intentionally re-number the data disks into a more sensible order.

I can't find the article or post I read back then as reassurance so maybe don't take my anecdote at face value until someone weighs in with something more authoritative.

19 minutes ago, u.stu said:

Not as long as the parity disk(s) are correctly assigned, from what I gather.

The last time I had to replace a flash drive I took the opportunity to intentionally re-number the data disks into a more sensible order.

I can't find the article or post I read back then as reassurance so maybe don't take my anecdote at face value until someone weighs in with something more authoritative.

So when i first was assigning the drives it said it was going to erase the parity drive, so i started the array with just the data disks and started it without a the parity disk, I let that run for 10 minutes then shutdown the array, then when i went to add the parity drive I did not see the same warning message so i rolled the dice and started the array, its now doing a parity-sync, so i think we are on the right track.