Safe to start array after usb crash? (had no backup and missing one disk)

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

So the usb drive with uraid died and I had no backup (lesson learned).
I also have a disk missing because the replacement disk is in the mail, it crashed a while ago.

I have made a new usb and transferred the licence, at least had a backup of that.
I know what drive is the parity and I think I have the correct order of the rest of the disks (had a old printscreen of the order)

Do I just start the array or will that wipe the parity and I lose it all?
Does the "parity is already valid" checkbox do something except not starting a parity check?
Should I start it in maintenance mode or does that not matter?

I promise I'll take this lesson to heart and keep backups and extra disks so I don't get into this situation again.

/one scared collector of files

Alright, I will do that as soon as I get the new one.

so if I understand the steps correctly they are:
1. insert replacement disk
2. format disk and add into the array
3. start array with "parity is already valid" box checked
4. restart array
5. repair the now emulated array with the new disk
6. start configuring the server
7. MAKE BACKUP!

• Solution

Not quite.   You have omitted steps and added one that should not be there.

Step 1 Should read

1.1 Insert new disk and start server (without starting array). 

1.2 Use Tools->New Config and use the option to preserve existing assignments

1.3 Return to Main tab and change the assignment of the problem disk to be the new disk

Step 2 should not be there so do NOT format the new disk.   You are likely to end up formatting the emulated drive and this would lose the contents of the problem drive.  The rebuild process later will put the correct file system onto the new disk.

Step 4 should read

4.1 Stop array

4.2 unassign the new disk

4.3 Start the array to get the disk slot into being emulated.

Step 5 -should read

5.1 Run the check filesystem procedure to repair the emulated drive.  At this point if the repair is successful then it will be mountable the next time the array is started in normal mode.

5.2 Stop array

5.3 assign new disk back to slot which is being emulated and has now (hopefully) been successfully repaired.

5.4 start array to rebuild the emulated contents onto the physical drive.

On 5/26/2024 at 12:37 PM, itimpi said:

Not quite.   You have omitted steps and added one that should not be there.

Step 1 Should read

1.1 Insert new disk and start server (without starting array). 

1.2 Use Tools->New Config and use the option to preserve existing assignments

1.3 Return to Main tab and change the assignment of the problem disk to be the new disk

Step 2 should not be there so do NOT format the new disk.   You are likely to end up formatting the emulated drive and this would lose the contents of the problem drive.  The rebuild process later will put the correct file system onto the new disk.

Step 4 should read

4.1 Stop array

4.2 unassign the new disk

4.3 Start the array to get the disk slot into being emulated.

Step 5 -should read

5.1 Run the check filesystem procedure to repair the emulated drive.  At this point if the repair is successful then it will be mountable the next time the array is started in normal mode.

5.2 Stop array

5.3 assign new disk back to slot which is being emulated and has now (hopefully) been successfully repaired.

5.4 start array to rebuild the emulated contents onto the physical drive.

Thank you very much! I have now got the new disk installed, I'm still scared of turning on the array.
I went in to tool->new config and ticked "all" and the "parity is already valid" is ticked.

I'm worried I haven't described the situation correctly and because of that have got something wrong so I'll just put it down here as clear as I can.

1. a disk died.
2. sent disk back to store to get replacement (warranty)
3. moved house (I guess this isn't relevant)
4. started server and the usb died/fried
5. made a new os usb
6. got replacement disk from the store
7. installed new disk
8. added disk to array
9. made new config with "all" preserved assignments
10. ticked "parity is already valid"
11. this is where I am now

so the following steps are:
1. start array
2. stop array
3. unassign the new disk
4. start array to get a emulated disk slot
5. run a "check filesystem
6. stop array
7. assign the new disk to the emulated slot
8. start array and rebuild the content

I'm a bit worried over the red text next to the parity drive but that does not apply when the array is in parity?unraid240601prerebuild.thumb.png.66bb7b3ab7e8672ac2b8aa1d5faa93c3.png

followed the steps above, this is what happend:
image.thumb.png.bede6e5fd917debf4f739114f2cf2ec2.png

I stopped the array and this is how it looked (note the checkmark in the start array operation)
image.thumb.png.ff11feb9de9ef64141f4a0602ccff9b1.png

started again and got the emulated drive, then I stopped it and put it in "Maintenance mode" before I started (because it is a xfs file system).
I ran a check on the emulated drive.
image.thumb.png.d1441b0f7ee5ae31b8902021e23d087b.png

Assigned the new disk and started the array again, got this message
image.png.b4886e0d73b967aaecd74dbb5363d6ea.png

estimated finish is 3-4 days, I will update this post when it's done.

Thank you itimpi and JonathanM for the help!

It looks like you only 'checked' the emulated disk rather than repaired it as the last line of the check report mentions that the 'no modfiy' (-n) option was used.   That means that the rebuilt disk will also probably show as unmountable until you repair it.

Everything worked out fine, but yes I only checked the disk (I misunderstood what I had to do).
The disk had to be rebuilt on my new disk but it worked out.
I have since then installed the appdata backup plugin so that everything should be protected for the future.

Now I have the issue of dockers not having template/config files, if I've understood the problem correctly.
I still have all my dockers but when I try to update them I get the following message:
"Configuration not found. Was this container created using this plugin?"
They still work but I do want to be able to update them ofc. 

I'll try to remember to update this thread when I figure out a solution.

Thanks again for all the help

2 hours ago, phnom said:

Now I have the issue of dockers not having template/config files, if I've understood the problem correctly.
I still have all my dockers but when I try to update them I get the following message:
"Configuration not found. Was this container created using this plugin?"
They still work but I do want to be able to update them ofc. 

That is because the settings you used when installing each docker container were stored in XML templates on the flash drive.  Since you say you do not have a backup of the flash driver then you have lost these templates.  If you can remember the settings you used then you can remove the current containers (keeping their appdata content) and then reinstall them to resolve this issue.

I do have an old flash drive backup (found it just now when I was downloading a backup for my curent usb).
It is 2 years old but it should have the same settings as the dockers I'm using.

what file do I need to copy over?
I assume I need to power down the server, put the usb in my pc and overwrite some files?