Why won't Unraid let me use TWO separate NICs on the same network?

This is the default behavior in Windows if you have more than one network device, e.g. a LAN port + WIFI. Each device gets it's own IP on the local network.

My server board has FOUR different NICs and I would like to have them in two bonded groups so I can separate my SMB and local access from by docker network and port forwarded IP address.

Yet Unraid forces me to ignore this bright red critical error warning that is typically reserved for things like disk errors:

image.thumb.png.44c8d473413956b6bb4bfa350eeb0f85.png

What is this about? Is there actually anything wrong with this setup? Is it going to cause me issues as the warning claims?

This is my network config:

image.thumb.png.a1e8f828deda45104991b73f0de33d61.png

Posted (edited)

That doesn't change the fact that it's the default behavior, as far as I'm aware. Unless you go into network adapters and manually bridge them yourself.

My question still stands, though. What issues does this cause in Unraid as implied by the error message?

If I am manually splitting the traffic by having SMB only access one and docker network on the other, what is the issue?

Are you implying that one NIC will not broadcast anytime the other NIC is and vice versa, as windows implies?

Edited by sunbear
Posted (edited)

(BTW: your screeshots are too small to be read for me...

7 hours ago, sunbear said:

This is the default behavior in Windows if you have more than one network device, e.g. a LAN port + WIFI. Each device gets it's own IP on the local network.

The default behaviour for windows is to turn off one adapter if it recognizes that they go to the same IP net.

Usually "the higher lance wins" and WIFI is ignored then.

You may force Windows to use both, but then expect the unexpected.

For many reasons "two on the same net" have always be a problem. It starts from ARP entries, goes over to MDNS and DDNS registration and much more.

To be short: AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!!

Better consider to get a faster NIC and switch...

Edited by MAM59
  • Like 1