[SOLVED] Adapatec 1430SA - One port malfunctioning

ixnu

Unraid 4.7 Pro

After my extended problems with the SIL3132, I purchased a Adaptec 1430SA as a replacement. However, I now believe that I have a bad port, but I would like to get your opinion before sending it back.

Background: I plugged the two drives that were giving me problems into the 1430SA. Everything looked great and I did a parity sync and corrected 6M errors. I did 2 more syncs without correction, and found 0 erros ;D

Then a problem started. I went to add an additional drive into slot 2 (0 and 1 were taken). The card saw the drive in the proper port, but Unraid balked and I got the below error:

Jan  6 20:21:03 Tower kernel: ata3: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
Jan  6 20:21:03 Tower kernel: ata3.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Jan  6 20:21:03 Tower kernel: ata3: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
Jan  6 20:21:03 Tower kernel: ata3: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
Jan  6 20:21:03 Tower kernel: ata3.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
Jan  6 20:21:03 Tower kernel: ata3: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
Jan  6 20:21:03 Tower kernel: ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Jan  6 20:21:03 Tower kernel: r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded

I reset all of the cables and I tried a different drive but got the same errors.

I switched the drive (including the cable) to a port on the mother board, and Unraid found the drive fine.

When I switched the drive back to the 1430SA port 3 (leaving port 2 open), unraid found the drive properly.

This certainly appears to be a bad port on the Adaptec card, however, the Adaptec card finds the drive and reports it properly when it's in the suspect port. I have made no configuration changes to to card and it has the most recent firmware and is functioning normally otherwise.

Has anyone seen an error like this? I finally got my server back up, and I reallly don't want an RMA to kill another week.  :'(

syslog-20120106-202246.zip

Are you running the latest firmware of the card?

Also did you try different model drives on the suspect port?

I do agree that if the drive doesn't work in port 3 but works in port 4, it's probably the port.

Still I would try this to isolate the situation.

Also I would pull the card and look at the suspect port under a microscope, check the pins.

I have also 1430sa card, and I wonder if it's possible to upgrade with new FW from UNRAID? this looks like it's the latest?

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/raid/aar/fw_bios/1430sa_bios_b2507_exe.htm

//Peter

I would doubt if you can do it directly from unRAID.  (Plus, you need to reboot unRAID anyway to actually install the new BIOS into unRAID.)  The instructions seem to be fairly standard ones for updating any BIOS or firmware.  The installation program will be making calls to DOS routines.  However, if you google  about making a DOS bootable USB stick, you will find several suggestions on how to do this:

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

I used the one that required the HP utility. Hope this helps...

Thanks WeeboTech. I'm going to have to put you on staff  ;D

Are you running the latest firmware of the card?

Yes

Also did you try different model drives on the suspect port?

Yes. 3 different cables, and drives, and a different power drop. All three drives function normally off MB ports or the other 3 ports on the Adaptec. The strange part is that the Adaptec finds the drive and is reporting disk geometry correctly in the card bios on the suspect port.

I do agree that if the drive doesn't work in port 3 but works in port 4, it's probably the port.

I think I'm gonna order a new one from Amazon and just RMA the Newegg one after I test two models at once. 

Thanks again.

2012 has gotta get better...right?

Archived