Trouble migrating to new hardware (booting)

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I had been running an old supermicro motherboard X9SCL and E3 1230 processor for about 5-6 years and decided to upgrade this week.

New system is all put together but I can't get unRAID to boot. The motherboard recognizes the UEFI SanDisk but as soon as I proceed from bios, it just hangs at a Aorus splash screen. I pulled a few PCI cards out (extra GPU and my HBA card) and no difference.

Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Elite AX DDR4 flashed to latest Dec 2023 bios 

Intel i5-13500

64GB DDR4 ram

- I created an Ubuntu24 install USB and it launched into grub with no issues and GUI worked fine

- My unRAID usb had EFI~ folder and I changed it to EFI

- I noticed there is a file on the USB (at the top level) called syslinux.cfg~  and it has a ~ tilda after it. I don't see this on the generated backup file, just on my good USB stick. On the backup, I only see this in a folder called syslinux and it has no tilda. 

Various settings I've tried

- Platform Power Management enabled or disabled with Native ASPM enabled

- Internal graphics enabled IGFX

- SPD Write DISABLE - TRUE

- Legacy USB support - enabled

- XHCI Hand-off - enabled?

- USB Mass storage driver support - enabled

- Port 60/64 emulation - enabled?

- Enable VMD Controller - disabled?

- Sata Controllers - Enabled

-Agressive LPM support - disabled

- Intel Platform Trust Technology PTT - enabled

-VT-d Enabled

-Trusted Computing - Security Device Support ENabled

-Secure Boot - disabled

- Security Option - Setup? no idea

- Boot Option #1 - UEFI SanDisk, Partition 1 (SanDisk) 

- FastBoot - tried both Disabled and enabled 

- Windows 10 Features - OtherOS

- CSM Support - disabled

Not really sure where to go from here. :( 

1 hour ago, birdsofprey02 said:

it just hangs at a Aorus splash screen.

In general, it won't hang on logo screen, if that, it means BIOS POST process not success and haven't go to booting process. Pls try unplug the USB and check does still hang at there.

** Just ensure fast boot always in disable **

Edited by Vr2Io

Update: I grabbed a new USB stick (sandisk cruzer 16gb usb2.0), same type/brand as my existing unRAID usb.

- Installed a vanilla clean install of unRAID onto USB via unRAID USB creator and I was able to get into the syslinux loader (great!)

- Used same USB stick from previous step and used unRAID USB creator to make a USB from my connect flash backup and it halts at mobo splash again

I don't think its a bad USB, but something on my original usb AND the backup thats causing this. If I removed the - from EFI- folder on the backup, do I need to run "make bootable" afterwards?

52 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

If I removed the - from EFI- folder on the backup, do I need to run "make bootable" afterwards?

UEFI and legacy can coexist, if you remove - and make stick also legacy bootable, then actual boot mode will depends on BIOS setting.

Edited by Vr2Io
Posted (edited)

I ended up taking the "new" usb disk and loading it with stock unRAID OS, then copied over the /config folder. The system booted just fine.

Since I didn't think the original usb disk was bad and I didn't want to blacklist a good usb stick with a new key<>uuid pair, I re-loaded stock OS on my original usb, copied the /config there too and it booted just fine.

The only thing I'm noticing so far is that my rclone config didn't keep. Outside of that, seems like we're all good now. Thanks for leading me on a path.

Edited by birdsofprey02
re-wording
  • Like 1