eth network interface "shutdown (inactive)"

It would normally mean that the interface is not detecting a physical connection.

You should post your system's diagnostics zip file in your next post in this thread to get more informed feedback.  It is always a good idea to post this if your question might involve us seeing how you have things set up or to look at recent logs.

15 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It would normally mean that the interface is not detecting a physical connection.

That can't be correct. I have four interfaces. Only one has anything plugged in. The other two don't day this. 

I've never had this appear on any of the four ports when something isn't plugged in.

It still appears when someone is connected. 

I've never seen this before. 

On 7/5/2024 at 8:46 AM, itimpi said:

You should post your system's diagnostics zip file in your next post in this thread to get more informed feedback.  It is always a good idea to post this if your question might involve us seeing how you have things set up or to look at recent logs.

fs-diagnostics-20240706-1426.zip

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 10:37 AM, JorgeB said:

Any special reason you are still on 6.9.2? No link is being detected on eth1.

Also note that you have multiple gateways set, typically only eth0 should have a gateway configured, or you could have connectivity issues.

I'm rolled back to 6.9.2 because last time I updated it messed up my zsh install. I will try to upgrade again after v7 comes out.

No link is being detected but that's irrelevant to the message being shown. No link is detected on the other two and they aren't showing that message.

I'm trying to figure out what that means and why it is being shown there and only there. Surely the message must mean something?!

Edited by cinereus
13 minutes ago, cinereus said:

No link is being detected but that's irrelevant to the message being shown.

I don't think it is, though the message from v6.9 is probably different, but if it is the equivalent o the current message, it means the adapter is configured but there's no link detected, the current message is clearer:

image.png

15 minutes ago, cinereus said:

No link is detected on the other two and they aren't showing that message.

eth2 has link, eth3 doesn't, but that error will only show up for the first NIC if there are multiple NICs with the same issue, for example, if I port down eth1, I see this:

image.png

I think v6.9 already has the port down option, try clicking that and the error should go way, or connect a cable.

image.png

3 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

I don't think it is, though the message from v6.9 is probably different, but if it is the equivalent o the current message, it means the adapter is configured but there's no link detected, the current message is clearer:

image.png

eth2 has link, eth3 doesn't, but that error will only show up for the first NIC if there are multiple NICs with the same issue, for example, if I port down eth1, I see this:

image.png

I think v6.9 already has the port down option, try clicking that and the error should go way, or connect a cable.

image.png

But I've never had anything connected to that port and it's never displayed that message before.

This is a new message and only shown for that one port.

I also get this message on network settings page:

image.png.67f310a0f961f7096e2318410667360a.png

Notably it doesn't say that for port 1.

Isn't that message for when a cable is connected but there is no connection? eth1 has nothing plugged in.

The port up and port down buttons are greyed out:

image.thumb.png.9e81e04dc712158e3cd05e258834ee6e.png