Possible to SMB share the whole /mnt/disks ?

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Hello team, might be a dumb question, but is there a way to share the whole /mnt/disks directory via SMB?

The reason I'm asking is because if you have a large number of drives attached as unassigned devices you need to enable sharing on each one of them separately which is tedious and not very convinient. Also mounting large number of SMB shares on another machine is a nightmare. So is it possible to share via SMB the /mnt/disks location?

• Solution
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ToTo said:

So is it possible to share via SMB the /mnt/disks location?

Yes. BUT you would have to do it through the SMB Extras configuration in the GUI.  The SMB configurations files are at:     /etc/samba 

From the command line, run    testparm    and you will see the format and information required to add a new share.

Google will be your friend from this point forward.  This is not a task for the faint of heart.   I have never attempted to try to do it and so can not give you any info beyond what I have provided.  Proceed at your own risk!!!! 

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Yes. BUT you would have to do it through the SMB Extras configuration in the GUI.  The SMB configurations files are at:     /etc/samba 

From the command line, run    testparm    and you will see the format and information required to add a new share.

Google will be your friend from this point forward.  This is not a task for the faint of heart.   I have never attempted to try to do it and so can not give you any info beyond what I have provided.  Proceed at your own risk!!!! 

Man, you saved the day! It worked! Thanks for the excellent hint!

Unfortunately the joy was short. All the unassigned devices were showing incorrect free disk space and when I tried stopping the array to revert the extra SMB settings it got stuck. I had to force a reboot and manually remove the config. Yes, I have been warned. But still can't believe there's no clean solution to the problem....

13 hours ago, ToTo said:

But still can't believe there's no clean solution to the problem....

You might want to ask about this in the Support thread for the Unassigned Devices plugin.  I can see all types of issues about Share Access users permissions to 'random' disks that might be plugged via USB.  (To some--- including you, this might not be an issue...)  But it could also just be an issue of lack of development time to add a feature that might well have limitations in its usage.  (Most of the time, Users are expecting things to be bulletproof even against the edge-cases and Developers want them to be idiot- proof.  Combining these two can be a long and difficult process!)