Parity drive swap for smaller

Sure. Stop the array, unassign the 20TB, assign the 18, start the array and let it rebuild parity. You may need to start the array with the parity drive unassigned, then assign the 18TB, I can't remember.

If you are paranoid about drive failure while parity is being rebuilt, you can do all this in maintenance mode so the drives don't mount and are unavailable for the duration. This would mean that the 20TB would remain valid until the array was started normally.

54 minutes ago, Scuba_Steve said:

It does make me worry if the rebuild is not successful.

Do you have a reason to suspect your drives?

Unraid parity requires all drives to be successfully read in total, not just the occupied data space. If you have any suspect drives you need to take care of that before changing parity.

When was your last parity check with zero errors?

I am definitely going to do a parity check.

Thank you for your help 

I am reading the different opinions about using Correcting vs Non Correcting parity checks.  That is how I lost my HDD it was during a parity check and the disk went offline and I could not revive it 

1 hour ago, Scuba_Steve said:

Thank you for your help 

I am reading the different opinions about using Correcting vs Non Correcting parity checks.  That is how I lost my HDD it was during a parity check and the disk went offline and I could not revive it 

You should be doing a none-correcting check as the default.    

You normally only want to do a correcting check after something has happened that makes you think parity may no be co pletely in sync, and you have rectified any known hardware issues.

Thank you for your help 

My data rebuild is finding lots of errors. How can I fix it?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I swapped parity drives with a 18TB HDD and something does not seem right.  Rebuild took less than an hour for an 18TB HDD.  Then I proceeded to go back to my 20TB HDD and I am getting missing parity drive error.  What is the proper procedure?

Edited by Scuba_Steve