Server issues

Just to verify, I am having some issues with my machine and I am starting to think the USB flash drive is failing. 

When I wipe and reinstall on a new usb flash drive, As long as i put the 11 hard drives in the exact same config slots, which includes a 5 drive zpool, all data should still be there and should not initiate a wipe on the drives... correct?

Edited by Uaeladen
2 hours ago, Uaeladen said:

As long as i put the 11 hard drives in the exact same config slots

The slots don't matter as Unraid tracks disks by serial number.  However, particular attentions needs to be taken to not assign a current parity drive to and array slot and vice versa.

For mote information on replacing the USB flash drive see https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/changing-the-flash-device/

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2024 at 10:05 PM, JonathanM said:

Physical slots don't matter, logical slots in the Unraid Main GUI do matter.

This is what I mean, as long as they are in the exact same order on the fresh install unraid should figure out that these drives don't need to be formatted, correct?.

Edited by Uaeladen
5 minutes ago, Uaeladen said:

This is what I mean, as long as they are in the exact same order on the fresh install unraid should figure out that these drives don't need to be formatted, correct?.

Yes. The main Unraid array will want to rebuild parity, and assuming the drives haven't been mounted elsewhere you can check the box saying parity is already valid.

Unraid should not alter drives (except for the parity slots) without you explicitly clicking the format button after affirming that yes, you want to do this.

You will need to name the pools the way they were previously, pool names aren't derived from the disks like shares are.